Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 2, 2008, 3:07 AM   #1

Hi there,

I'm from Turkey, many thanks you for your helping.

I have a Canon 350D and 17-70mm Sigma makro lens. I 'm very amateur. I wanna use this device in indoor places such as birthday or my babies funny times.. My lens's type is that i know "generel purpose". Do you advice "stay existing lens" or buy 50mm portrait lens?

CharlieOscarDelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2008, 4:38 AM   #2

My preference is for available light, so I'll say you should get a large aperture lens like the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.4, or 28mm f/1.8, or the Sigma 28mm f/1.8, 24mm f/1.8, 30mm f/1.4, or 50mm f/1.4. I use a 50mm f/1.7 and a Tamron 17-50/2.8 and am very pleased with the results, but with large aperture lenses you have to be careful of the shallow depth of field.

Some of these lenses are relatively inexpensive, but a good flash can work too, and you won't have to worry about the depth of field.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2008, 5:32 AM   #3

Hmmm.... Aparture size is good point as your remind. I haven't thought it. thank you.
CharlieOscarDelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2008, 8:27 AM   #4

Ideally I like to use both wide aperture lenses AND flash depending on the lighting. For some portrait type work I love available light:

But the reality is sometimes you want shots with more than one person in focus. And there just isn't enough available light to get the shot. That's where a good external bouncable flash comes in:

The two can even be used together to get the best both have to offer:

For your stated purposes the Canon 430EX or 430EXII should be fine. I might suggest the 50mm 1.8 as an inexpensive way to test the waters of available light and shallow dof photography. If you really like it then you can invest in better quality primes to fit your specific needs.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2008, 5:52 PM   #5

I like your photo samples and your advice a lot. The F 1.8 lens is a great way to begin. And yes, creative flash can add a great deal to a photo as your photo sample prove so very well.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote