Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 7, 2008, 9:58 PM   #1

Now, i'm a kid in high school, and i only have a 200-250 spending range for a camera for my girlfriend. she's got a decently cheap one her mom bought her last christmas, looks like 100-150. its a slim little camera, but i couldnt give you much more info on it, because it's a surprise and i can't ask, nor do i have a chance to look at it before christmas. so details on the old camera arent gonna be of much help. i know that when she FIRST got it, she was mad because she wanted a sony but her mom went with a cheap camera. so i was thinking sony but those aren't very cheap, and i'm skeptical of the ones in my range.

i've also seen some nice canon's as well as kodaks.

i'm not a big camera person and wouldn't know about quality of a camera. i know she's very into photography and she wants a professional camera in the future. while i obviously can't afford one now, certain cameras i've seen have that feel to them and she might like that.

tubular1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2008, 11:20 PM   #2

If you think she'd like something more sophisticated than a slim point and shoot, I'd get her a superzoom. For $250 you could afford a Canon SX110is, a Panasonic TZ4 or TZ5 (more of a snapshot camera but with a long zoom), a Fuji S2000hd or a Kodak Z812is or Z1012is. These superzooms all have long zoom lenses and (with the exception of the Panasonics) manual exposure controls.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2008, 12:14 PM   #3

Tell us a bit about the kind of photos your girl friend takes and her skill level. That will allow us to make better suggestions for her gift.

For example:

Does she just take snap shots?

Does she take a lot of flash photos?

Does she take a lot of group photos with flash from a distance of more than 12 feet?

Does she take photos that are published in your school newpaper or annual?

Has she expressed a desire for a better or more comple camera?

Is she interest in manual controls or is she a person who just set the camera to Automatic and begins taking snapshots?

Does she take time setting up her camera and whatever she photographs?

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote