Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 7, 2008, 10:52 PM   #1

[align=left]Im new to photography and am going to buy a dslr after christmas when i have the money to. Ive been comparing dslrs for almost a year probly, until i was sure i am going to invest in one. I have been lookin at the Nikon D90, Pentax 20D and 200D(for the weather proof seals), Canon rebel xsi, and the D80 . I realize thats very broad but im willing to throw down the money. The way i see it is if i wanna buy a nice dslr im not going to to settle for something like a D40 or D60 when i could spend a couple hundred more or so and get a nicer camera. I'm almost 19 and plan on using the camera for a long time. I'm also very comfortable with the all of manual functions that dslrs have to offer. I'm willing to spend $1300 that includes a kit only because the D90 kit is that much. I already have a tripod.

[/align]I will be taking pictures of a wide variety of pictures. Ranging from sports to landscape to family/people/ friends
Lemme know what you think i should go after.
[/align][align=left]i realize i spelt amateur wrong in the title. dont judge me...ha
gomer89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2008, 11:19 PM   #2

The D-90 is a great camera. I had one in my hands the other day and it just plain and simple felt great. It is also a great camera.

BUT, for about 95% of us it is also more camera that we need. Why? Because most people need/want more than the kit lens that comes with every camera. And your situation does not seem to be much different (sports and landscapes have completelydifferent needs with regards to lenses) . And it is those nasty lenses that suckup all of our spare cash.

If you have the long term $ to support a growinghobby, then by all means grab the D-90. However, if you total budget is going to be consumed by the camera with kit lens, then I would consider the Canon XSI so you have a few more $ to spend on lenses.

StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2008, 11:41 PM   #3

Alright thanks.
I'm still gonna think about buying the D90 with the kit lens. After purchasing it, hopefully after a pay check or two i would be able to buy a telephoto lens first. Than after that purchase, a couple more pay checks and id go get the wide angle.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 12:48 AM   #4

I was reading a thread about the pentax' and how the weatherproof seals would be great for snow. I live in Minnesota and we get all kinds of weather up here. Then i could buy a telephoto lens for $300 or so.

This is just more speculation...
Old Dec 8, 2008, 1:12 AM   #5

All the cameras you mentioned are quite good, butif shooting sports is important to you, the Canon XSi has the best autofocus system. But an important considereation, when shopping for a dSLR is "Can I get the lenses I need for the types of photography I want to do?" Canon and Nikon have the best selection of lenses for almost any purpose, but the same can't be said for the other brands. For instance, the selection of telephoto lenses for a Pentax dSLR is quite limited, but the selection of fast primes for a Sony dSLR is also limited.

The problem with Canon and Nikon is that they both use optical image stabilization in some of their lenses, which are, consequently, bigger, heavier, and more expensive. Pentax, Sony and most Olympus dSLRs have sensor shift image stabilization in the camera body, so any lens is stabilized, including 20+ year old Pentax and Minolta (Sony) used lenses. If you have a limited budget, the used market can be a significant resource for lenses and accessories, and there are very few stabilized lenses available used.

If you really don't know where you want photography to take you, perhaps you'd be better off with something a little more modest, before you make the common mistake of buying a dSLR without being aware of the implications of buying into a system ill suited or incapable of taking you whereyou will ultimately want to end up.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2008, 4:26 AM   #6

Well said, TCav!

As something "more modest", you could consider getting a cheap, light,hybrid superzoom as a testbed for your needs, and thereby get a good idea of what you wanted from your dSLR when you upgraded.It would offer most dSLR functions far better than any other type of 'compact' camera, if you used its electronic viewfinder. For many purposes its image quality would be adequate.

If you carried it round a lot,so used it heavily, you'd soon know what you wanted. You'd see exactlywhere you hit equipment limitations, and consider how to avoid them in your large purchase. The investment would be recouped if you avoided a single mistaken dSLR lens purchase.

I was a long-time film SLR user before the days of digital, and have a photographer pal with current top-flight Nikon gear, so I do know a bit about it.

I upgraded my Kodak Z712 superzoom recently to a Z1012is, for a much lower price than I paidfor the first. I find it remarkable value, and would recommend it as a learning tool for people aiming to jump straight to dSLR. When you did upgrade, it would still be useful as a backup, and for when you wanted to travel light. (Don't forget the weight of dSLR lenses and a bag big enough to carry it all!) The Z712 will be my backup.

Good luck!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2008, 4:47 AM   #7

Landscape, people, family - those can all be accomplished with any DSLR on the market at the basic level. Assuming, of course, you were using an appropriate lens. And, for indoor work, I would also strongly recommend an external flash.

As for sports - that's a whole different ballgame (pun intended). That's not easy to do - sports shooting is one of the most equipment intensive types of photography. What types of sports - what level of play - from where will you be shooting - and how important is sports photography to your overall plan? Be very specific about every sport and level of play (i.e. huge difference between HS varsity football under lights vs pro football in stands vs midget football with you 10 year old brother).

For a certain any dslr is going to do better than a digicam for sports use but some cameras and some systems are better suited to sports photography.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2008, 12:02 PM   #8

You have received some very excellent advice here. I tend to agree with AlanT. Buy a super zoom and really hone your photography skills. When you can easilyutilize all of themany features that are available on the averageconsumer level DSLR camera, then move up.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote