Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 9, 2008, 2:58 PM   #1

Hello all. I'm looking for a step up from my point and shoot, however, I don't think I have the money or time to commit to properly invest into an SLR quite yet. So, I was looking at some of the 'prosumer' and 'superzoom' models on steves recommended list. I'm a teacher, and want to start capturing some interesting and sharp photos of my kids (5 yr olds - so not exactly the types to sit and pose for the camera). So speed is key. The Canon Powershot S5 is striking my interest, mainly because it talks about face detection technology that can capture and focus on up to 9 faces at a time. Is this a valid feature to have or just a marketing ploy? I'll also be taking a lot of pics in the classroom, so artifical light will play into my pics. So, any one use a mid level camera they can recommend? Something in the $300-$400 range. Thanks so much.
carolinagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2008, 4:26 PM   #2

You can overcome the problems of White Balance by using the camera's built in flash and Auto WB. Our daughter is a primary school teacher and I bought her a Sony H-10 as a birthday present to use in her class.

She likes it a lot and the H-10 has an excellent flash range of up to 23 feet. It is a small and compact camera and one feature that she likes is to be able to stand back at 15 to 20 feet while the children are inter acting quite naturally. The using the 10X zoom available on the camera she can zoom in and frame only the portion of the scene that she desires.

I have the previous model of the same camera, the H-3 model and it is a very handy and compact camera. Here is a sample from my Sony H-3 taken from about 17 feet with the camera's built in flash. By eing at that distance I was not intruding on the scene, and our grand daughter was just being normal and not striking a pose for the camera.

There are certainly other cameras in this category, but we are both pleased with the Sony H-10. The H-10 is currently selling for around $(US) 220.00.

Sarah Joyce

Attached Images
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote