Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 13, 2008, 2:31 PM   #1

I want to get each of my sons a camera, but don't want to spend a lot of money. I've been looking at the Canon A470 for the 11-year-old and thought about it for the 6-year-old, too (nice that it comes in different colors so they can tell at at glance whose is who's!) ... but my concern is durability. When the older son was about 6 or 7 he had a digital camera that lasted about one joy-filled month, then was dropped accidentally, and that was the end of that. I've read about cameras for kids such as the Kid-Tough Fisher Price digital camera, but that seems too baby-ish. And I read about the Olympus Stylus Tough, but that is way out of budget range, not to mention it's more that a 6-yo needs. Is there something in between? durable, decent, and not too pricey.

Your comments are much appreciated!
cubamerimex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2008, 3:36 PM   #2

My husband and I raised 8 children, 4 girls and 4 boys. The 11 year old has the best chance of taking good care of the Canon A-470 camera, particularly if she is a girl. IMHO it is best to wait awhile before the 6 year gets a camera. I am sure there are alternative gifts. The Fisher-Price really is a viable alternative if the 6 year old is to also get a camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2008, 5:03 PM   #3

Err, Sarah has a lot more experience than me in this regard! So I will be happy to agree with all of her remarks. But still cheeky enough to offer alternatives for the 11-yr old. As a semi-bullet proof cam try the Samsung NV4. Flush lens design so absolutely no chance of accidental lens extension. About double the $$ of the Canon A470 however. Another, lower priced, flush lens is the Fujifilm Z20. Looks perfectly silly but then so does the A470. If your 11-yr old is ready for a "grownup" camera, try the Panasonic FS3 or LS80. Only a little bit higher priced than the A470 and don't look like toys. Really, really "grownup" would be the Fujifilm S700 (aka S5700). Got the SLR-like look, with lotsa zoom, for under $150 USD.

Kelly Cook
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2008, 11:26 PM   #4

They are probably not going to take care of it properly so buy something inexpensive (under $100) and don't feel bad if "it breaks" or you find chewing gum on it. Stick with name brand cameras like Canon, Samsung, Kodak, Nikon, Panasonic, Sony and Fuji.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2008, 12:13 AM   #5

I find most cameras these days surprisingly durable..... except when the camera catches a bad case of concrete impact disease... at which point all bets are off.

B&H has your previously mentioned A470 for $91 with free shipping.

(Which is cheaper than the online scammers!)

Still yoo much?

What would I buy?

$80 Kodak.

There are othe options:

One step up from the garbage. At $60 and no brand name it isn't much better than kiddy garbage. But for a 6 yr old? Why not.

I like the Kodak. Personally I would shop the big box retailers and look for close out specials. NOT returns or rebulds, but honest to goodness close outs.

So go to BB, CC, Sears whatever and look through the sale bins. I found some decent Kodaks at Office Depot in the Spring for under $50. The store had TWO cameras. One was the display model... which there is absolutely no way I would buy it and the other one was still in the original box, which for under $50 I should have bought.

Won't see many closeouts this time of year, but there are potential last minute specials.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=10726970 $60 for an Agfa (Agfa might be out of business, or somebody is just using the Agfa name to sell cheap stuff).

StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2008, 2:48 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Well it all depends on the child. Some kids are careful, others not. For the latter group I would just say you have to wait, for the former though they will never be reckless or destructive (most likely a girl) so you can spend a bit more.

Three options:
  1. Upgrade your camera and give your old one to them.[/*]
  2. Have a look at the Olympus SW/Tough range; they are not cheap but they will withstand the accidents that a careful child will have.[/*]
  3. Get a cheap camera and buy accidental damage insurance for it.
I'm lucky that my daughter (who is determined to be a fashion photographer and is now 4) has used both my P&S and DSLR cameras and never dropped or damaged one, though the 5D is very heavy for her :-) and she did nearly drop the P&S in a pond once when she was 3 - I managed to to catch it mid-air.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote