Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 17, 2008, 8:28 PM   #1

Hey guys,

Well, I was able to get a bit of help here a few years ago with the purchase of my SD500, which I have loved dearly ... and now that it has decided to move on to digital heaven, I figured I might come back with some new questions.

First a little background. My wife and I use this camera primarily when we go backpacking and traveling. Although a trip to Disneyland and a nephews birthday are not out of the question. So our range of photographs is pretty wide, but we generally take shots outdoors, sometimes in gloomy weather. The only annoying thing with the SD500 was that I had the LCD screen crack on me three different times. But luckily we had the optical viewfinder. And the camera still took some amazing shots.

So I started looking at the new SD series cameras and wanted a little feedback. I was looking at the SD850, SD890, SD950, and the SD990. Our number one priority is to have an optical viewfinder. (Which these all have) Other than that, we just want a good quality compact camera that takes good landscapes as well as good macro shots. The only differences I see between these cameras seems to be the MP's and the optical zoom (and that the 990 has the new DIGIC IV).

So I guess I'm just wondering if there are any problems with any of these cameras or if one outshines another. And is the new digic IV image processor really that much better than the digic III? Any opinion you might have on these cameras, or any other suggestions, would be great.

sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2008, 8:49 PM   #2

The SD-990 has taken over as sort of the flagship of the Canon SD line of cameras. I think it is worth a good look, and you can enjoy 5X optical zoom.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote