Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 19, 2008, 8:01 AM   #1

I've been traveling with my old Canon SD400 which finally died on me, and am looking to replace it with something modern. I've been searching for hours online trying to figure out what camera makes the most sense, but can't seem to turn up what I'm looking for - maybe someone here has had similar requirements as me.

What I need:
Ultra-compact/light: I'm backpacking and don't want to carry any more weight than I have to.
Compressed video: This can be h.264 or MPEG4. I want to be able to upload videos to my blog, and don't want to upload any more than I have to over the slow connections here. Basically, no MJPEG
Decent low-ligh performance: I take a lot of pictures in temples and other places where I can't control the lighting.
Decent photo quality (normal photos should look decent at 800X600)

Nice to haves:
Image stabilization
Manual focus option
Zoom on the video (a lot of cameras don't support this for some reason)

Price range:
< $300

My searching has mostly lead me to the Casio Exilim line (which gets very mixed and often terrible reviews), and a few Samsung cameras (notably the TL34HD, which also gets some really bad reviews). Does anyone have pointers on cameras I should consider?

igmcdowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2008, 7:14 AM   #2

Okay, on further investigation I'm liking the Samsung SL310W and the Canon Powershot 880IS. Does anyone have opinions on the respective merits of these cameras?
igmcdowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2008, 8:11 AM   #3

Can you live with a cam that shoots AVI?

Maybe you could edit and save the video to the right format for your blog?
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2008, 8:19 AM   #4

Hi igmcdowell,

Please see my reply to another post:

A few words about low light performance -

The older CG65/ CG6/ E1/ CA65/ CA6 moels use 6MP CCD sensor which have much better low light performance than the newest CG9/ CA8/ E2 models that use CMOS sensor. NOTE: as a CG6 user, I find that the low light performance is only better for videos but not much in still pictures (at least when the still pictures are compared to other mainstream brands such as Canon).

Hope this helps!
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote