Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 20, 2008, 7:52 PM   #1

Can someone help me and my husband figure out which digital SLR we should get? We've narrowed it down to the Canon XS, the Nikon D60 and the Olympus E-520, but we are about to go crazy trying to figure out which one we should get.

We have two Canon 35mm SLRs already and we've been very happy with them. But we don't want to pick Canon by default. I've seen good reviews about all three of these cameras and they are all in the range we want to spend. We aren't professionals, but would just like to have a nice solid camera to keep up with our four kids.

Thanks in advance for your help.
jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2008, 8:19 PM   #2

What Camera Should I Buy?
Please ask this question in this forum only.

You may never get an answer here...

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2008, 6:31 AM   #3

Welcome Jenn.

I've moved your thread down to our What Camera Should I Buy? Forum, where you may be more likely to get some suggestions.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2008, 7:31 AM   #4

Thanks Jim. Sorry for the incorrect post.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 7:35 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Hi and welcome to Steve's!!

All 3 options are going to give good quality shots for what you want. PersonallyI still rule out the Nikon as there is no focus motor in the camera so certain lenses won't work (this is getting less of an issue with more lenses having motors in them but my theory is why limit yourself).

What lenses do you have currently, this might be a good money saving point by going Canon?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2008, 7:53 AM   #6

We have the Canon 50 mm standard lens that came with our original Canon Rebel.

We also have a Canon EF 80-200 mm and a Tamron AF Aspherical 28-80 mm.

I wasn't sure if you could use the same lens built for the 35mm with the digital camera bodies. I read something once about the weight of the lens being less for the digital cameras? Is this a non-issue?

I'm also not sure if the Tamron is a good quality lens or not. At the time of purchase we couldn't afford the real Canon lens, so we settled for the Tamron.

If we have a decent lens collection that will work with the digital body maybe we should just go with the Canon body...
Old Dec 21, 2008, 8:26 AM   #7

If they are Canon EOS lenses (and it sound like they are), they will fit a new DSLR Canon body.

If you already have Canon lenses, you should probably stick with Canon.

There's nothing wrong with Tamron lenses - they can exceed the quality of some of the lowest quality Canon offerings.

Consider the Canon Rebel XS or if you can find a little more cash - the Rebel XSi - an amazing camera and the best in it's class.

Good luck and happy shooting!
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2008, 9:14 AM   #8

All three cameras are very capable - they are different sizes and the ergonomics will fit different people. So before buying one, see if you can handle all three - is one too light/heavy/small/large? That might be a good starting point.

The other thing is the lenses you already have. I shoot Pentax so don't know if the camera/lenses you have are Canon's EOS system. If so, then I'd put the Canon highest on your list (assuming it doesn't feel wrong to you). Even if the lenses you have aren't the highest quality, you can still use them and that can save you quite a bit of money initially. You can always save up and upgrade the lenses later - otherwise you'd immediately have to buy two lenses to match what you already have. It was one of the big reasons why I first bought a Pentax dSLR - while I've upgraded some of my old film lenses recently, I happily shot with them for over a year.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2008, 9:41 AM   #9

Of the three, the Canon has the best selection of lenses and accessories, the best autofocus system for use with sports/action/wildlife (which, I have no doubt, describes 4 children), and it uses the lenses you've got. Slam dunk.

The Nikon D60 has a poor selection of OEM and third party lenses, and doesn't have the 'Live View' feature the others do. The Olympus also has a poor selection of OEM and third party lenses, but it does have sensor shift image stabilization, as opposed to the optical image stabilization that Canon and Nikon use. (Image stabilization reduces, if not eliminates motion blur due to camera shake.) The Canon and Nikon will not stabilized most lenses, including the lenses you've got.

But if you want a system with stabilization in the camera body,Sony and Pentax have better selections of OEM, third party and used lenses and accessories than Olympus, and they also have some models with 'Live View'. But you should remember that, though 'Live View' may be nice for a P&S digicam, it's not as useful for a bigger, heavier dSLR with a bigger, heavier lens attached.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2008, 11:22 AM   #10

Hi Jenn-

Welcome and thanks for posting. I am sort of the direct action kind of person. Do you have a friend with a current Canon DSLR camera? If so seek his or her advice, and athe opportunityto actually try your inventory of Canon lenses, on his or her Canon DSLR body. That way you would have a very quick answer to the lens equation.

If you have no friend or relative with a Canon DSLR camera body, then visit your local camera store and take a look at what Canon DSLR camera bodies might work for you. That is the first step IMO to solving your personal DSLR selection decision.

Happy Holidays!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote