Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 30, 2008, 7:26 AM   #1

Till now I am using a film camera. Now I decided to change over to Digital camera. Should I go for canonEOS1000D or Nikon D60? I am amateur photographer, having special inclination towards landscape/citiscape and portrait photographs.
Pradyoth Kumar Chakraborty
Attached Images
Pradyoth Kumar Chakraborty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2008, 7:47 AM   #2

Welcome to the forums!

Between the two, the Canon has 'Live View'and a better selection of lenses than the Nikon.

It also has a better autofocus system, but for what you shoot, it probably wouldn't make much difference.

Do you have any lenses or accessories for your film camera that you might be able to use on a digital camera?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 10:55 AM   #3

I also agree the Canon EOS 1000 (known in the USA as the Canon XS) is the better choice in consumer level DSLR cameras. Its focus system is better, it has better high ISO performance, a better lens choice, and here in the USA the Canon XS comes with the new Canon 18-55mmIS kit lens.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2008, 11:18 AM   #4

cannon eos is going to work great for you.

JessR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2009, 4:39 AM   #5

Although I may be biased towards the Canon system as I am a Canon guy myself, ask yourself the following questions when making the shift into digital SLR's:

1. What camera would you want? (very important from a "philosophical" perspective)
2. What will I use it for?(Portraits, Sports or general photography)
3. What's my budget?(if you have the funds for it, go for what you can afford. ultimately, that would answer question #1)
4. Will I be comfortable with the system?--your final choice will actually "marry" you into a particular camera brand. You should be able to weigh what features you like about Canon's, Nikon's or any other brand for that matter. Once your decision is final, you'll have to look at the long haul--lenses, accessories et al.)

There are other minor questions that go beyond the technical stuff like: "Does the camera fit well in my hand?" or something as simple as: "Will I be happy with it?"

But once you've answered all 4-questions to your satisfaction, you're all set!
Abs.Abando is offline   Reply With Quote