Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 30, 2008, 12:01 PM   #1

My car got broken into and both of my cameras were stolen- my Nikon d200 with my favorite lens and an older Optio S (as well as passports and checks and external hard drives, oh my).

Luckily the cameras were insured, so I'm trying to figure out what to get to replace them. The d200 is a no-brainer (well, I amy upgrade to the d300) but compact camera technology has advanced a lot in the last four years since I got my fantastic little optio.

I'd like something very portable, so an ultra-compact or a compact
*great battery life (the one thing I hated about my old optio)
*decent low-light pictures (another gripe I had with the optio).

Any advice? So far I've come up with a number of contenders:

Panasonic Lumix dmc-fx37 (has a wide angle lens and gets good reviews on cnet and dpreview)
Casio Exilium ex-s10 (supposed to have great battery life, according to this site and also recommended by consumer reports)
SD1100 IS for size
Optio s12

plasticdevilducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2008, 12:42 PM   #2

Welcome to the Forum! However, I am sorry to hear of your loss. I hope that you get everything back together rather quickly.

I can think of two other cameras that you also might want to consider:

Panasonic TZ-4 or TZ-5

Fuji F-100

Both do rather well with low light level photos. I have attached a photo taken with the TZ-5 in the floral department of our local supermarket. It was taken without flash at an ISO setting of 800.

To me, the TZ-4/5 have another real bonus. They have a nice 28mm wide angle and 10X of optical zoom.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2008, 11:10 AM   #3

powershot a590 is good.

JessR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2008, 12:52 PM   #4

Humm, most of those cameras in the OP list were included in a recent group review on another site. Hummm.

Anyways, you don't have to gaze at the low light samples in that reviewvery long to see that the Panny FX37 came out on top. With the Pentax S12 not far behind. While the Canon SD790 and Casio S10 were only so-so.

I do like Sarah's suggestion on the Fuji F100fdtoo, wish it hadmore of the FX37's bellz and whistles.

Kelly Cook
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote