Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 28, 2009, 2:33 PM   #1

Hi all experts,

I am a dentist. I have decided upon a few points after going through several camera reviews. These are my requirements.

1. I travel a lot for consulting different clinics, for which i need to have a small size camera that is flat and enters my bag easily.Because most of the times I need to carry laptop and my instruments box too.So I dont want a big, bulky camera.

2.I am not much, But I AM, into Cosmetic dentistry. So I dont want an expensive DSLR to capture the finest shades of teeth translucency.My needs are to capture the real pink shades of gums without color saturation.As real as possible.

3. Most of my work involves surgeries.I need to capture bloodless fields.During surgeries, blood flow often covers the area required to captured. That time the assistant should be able to capture too. all I mean is there should be a quick Autofocus which should enable the person to quickly focus and capture the moment before the surgical field gets obscure again.

4. Ofcourse I need the best macro.Do I require Supermacro? The closest I can go to is to cover two to three teeth at a time.

5. Do I require an Ultrazoom? Because if i go very near the teeth, in some cameras, I read, the flash turns off, then I may not get the real colors. And If I use flash from close distance, everything will appear very bright.So should I stand at a great distance, go close using Optical zoom and use flash? im really confused in this particular part. Hope you guys understand my inability to express problem in pro - language and pro - words.

6. My budget is $250 - $400

7. I had a prosumer camera, but I used to get a lot of shadows cast on the field of surgery so it used to be half shade and half bright. Mostly because the zoom used to come in the way of flash.

8. Although I would like to have manual controls and various modes for my own growth in the field of photography, the need for a fast autofocus, very less time between two shots and excellent image are my primary requisites.

I have tried my best to put All my problems in the simplest possible way. Please help me.Thank you very much. this is a great forum.
BRPics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2009, 7:03 PM   #2

For what you want to do, flash will not work well. What you might try is a Ring Light. There's the Digi-Slave L520 Light Ring that should do the trick, and will work with whichever camera you select. It's $115 at Adorama, so that takes a bite out of your budget, but without it you're likely tocontinue tohave lighting problems.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2009, 9:56 PM   #3

Ring that you have suggeested can be used with compact cameras too? If yes, then suggest an all round performance camera with reasonable budget and size.

I have shortlisted the following three.
1. Canon Powershot A590IS
2. Canon SX 110 IS
3. Canon Powershot G9 / G10

Although I like G9 / G10 by their reviews, its a bit pricey. Will the first two options be good for my purpose if i use ring flash with them?

A590 IS is pewrfect for my budget. But will that give me the excellent performance that i am expecting?

Thanks for the advice.
BRPics is offline   Reply With Quote