Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 23, 2009, 4:06 PM   #1

My parents informed me that they are going to buy a P & S for me for my birthday. The reason why they told me about the gift is because they want to make sure it meets with my approval. The camera they are looking at for me is the Panasonic LUMIX DMC-TZ5. I have owned the Panasonic FZ1 in the past and I know Panasonic makes good cameras.

So, if someone was going to purchase a P & S for you as a gift and they wanted your input on the camera, would you ask for the TZ5 or advise them to get something else for you.

Here is my main criteria:

I would like something to carry around when I don't have the D200 with me or when it isn't practical to lug around a body and lens(es).

Decent optical zoom is good (this has 10x).

It would also be nice to be able to do video. I have a camcorder but it only records to MiniDV tape and it is a PITA to transfer from the camera to the computer for editing.

Your thoughts?

Thank you
Photog4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2009, 5:05 PM   #2

BTW... I should say, keep the budget at $200-$250 ish (The TZ5 is $199 at Costco right now).
Photog4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2009, 5:10 PM   #3

The Panny FZ-28 is a much more capable digital camera, offering more zoom, and full manual and automatic controls. Yes, it does cost a bit more, but IMO it is money very well spent.

Here is a sample no flash, existing light photo from the FZ-28.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2009, 12:47 AM   #4

I prefer the Canon SX110 IS due to its nice manual controls. However, video on that Canon is pretty limited, compared to the Panasonic TZ5. If you're going to research the reviews, I'd say pay themost attention to the video critiques. Most compacts (including the TZ5) have some issues there.

Kelly Cook
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote