Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 27, 2009, 12:59 PM   #1

Hello Everyone,

How are you?

I'm sorry to bother you with yet another comparison of these cameras, but I can't seem to choose!

Next weekend I'll be buying a new digital camera for myself (huge upgrade from a six year old Sony DSC-P72) and I am looking for a super zoom camera.

Since I am certain that I won't be able to convince my wife in buying a DSLR due to the weight and necessity of carrying lenses, I've narrowed my options down to these three contestants: Sony DSC-H50, Canon SX10 IS and Panasonic DMC-FZ28.

This camera will take all sorts of pictures - landscapes, indoor and outdoor social gatherings, portraits of family members, birthday parties, perhaps some very well lit pictures at the beach, etc. I am also looking for the manual controls to experiment and learn about photography.

Most of our prints are small (4x5, 6x8), however someday I might wish to have "the right picture" printed a little larger.

Is the tecnology used in the FZ28 more recent than the H50?
Do all cameras have equivalent manual controls?
The FZ28 uses a "joystick" - is this durable? This camera will need to last at least a few years.

Having a flash hot shoe is not a differential for me at this time.
The difference in image resolution between the models is not a deal breaker for me.
RAW capability is a plus, but definitely not something that would exclude one of the cameras.

I was really impressed with the zoom capabilities in Canon's model.

SDHC cards are cheaper, but I don't mind Memory Sticks.
Canon's camera is almost 50% heavier than the others.
Articulated screens are nice.

Are the optical components in Canon's camera superior to those on Panasonic's and Sony's?
Do all three models work with optical stabilization? How do they compare?
Do all three models track subjects automaticaly? (focus)

In my understanding, cameras with smaller F numbers would be better. Is this correct?

Are the close-up lenses worth buying for better macro shots?

Image Quality

From what I've seen it seems that pictures taken with Sony and Panasonic cameras seem "warmer" as if the colors were more intense than the Canon pictures. They look more pleasant to a common person even if they do seem to loose a little detail when compared to Canon. Is this also your opinion?

Canon's images seem sharper, sometimes excessively?

From what I've read a lot of the problems related to noise come from the fact that these cameras have very small sensors (compared to SLRs).

If I reduce the image resolution can I overcome some of these problems?

I want to buy a polarizing filter for the camera I choose.

Have you used this with any of these cameras? How were the results?
Are Panasonic's accessories compatible with other models from the same manufacturer or are they like Sony's that you can't reuse with another model?
What manufacturers would you recommend for these lenses?
Do all of these cameras offer a metal tripod "connector"?

Thank you all!

bernardosw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links