Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 1, 2009, 8:17 AM   #1

I'm interested in purchasing a new camera and upgrading from my previous 3.1 Fuji. I would mostly be taking pictures of my kids, their sports, and just some scenic pictures. I would also like to know that the camera has the ability to allow me to grow as I get more experience but I am definitely not a person that understands all the settings like the appropriate white levels and ISO levels. I do have a desire to learn though. My 3 cameras are the following: Canon G10 or G9, Nikon Coolpix P6000, and the Sony Cybershot DSC-W170. They vary in price and while the budget side of me says stick with the Sony I also want something that will last and provide quality pictures. I'm not too thrilled that Sony uses its proprietary memory sticks either. Any feedback or recommendations for other cameras is good too but I wanted to give you an idea of what I have looked at. The Canon and Nikon are definitely at the higher priced end for a P&S so I'm open even to older models that I could purchase on eBay.

caquiroga is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2009, 12:12 PM   #2

Besides the G9, some other Canons to check on eBay are the A640, A650 IS, and S3 IS. The G10 is a very nice camera, but the high price is hard for me to swallow. As you can spend a lotless and get aSLR-likecamera or Panasonic FX150loaded with features. As for the Sony W170, very sensible camera. Some others around that price include the Canon SX110 IS, Fuji F60fd, and Fuji S8100fd. Which are not necessarily better choics than the W170, just different flavors (with more manual control).

no help Kelly
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote