Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 8, 2009, 2:11 PM   #1

My trusty Canon S1 IS has inexplicably died so I'm looking for a replacement. I'm keen to stick with using AA's as a power source and I'm currently looking at the Fuji S8000fd or S8100fd. Any views on whether I'm likely to be blown away, disappointed or fairly happy if I buy one of these?

Thanks in advance

tomsdadjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2009, 3:05 PM   #2

I've posted this link a number of times... but if you haven't seen this recent comparison test yet, it's worth your while. I advise reading through the entire piece very carefully and then examining the sample photos just as carefully.

The upshot: In technical terms, the Canon SX10 IS finishes just ahead of the Panasonic FZ28 for the number-one spot. But the differences aren't much. And, in the end, the testers say they'd prefer the Panasonic because of its form factor. As for the Fujifilm S8100fs, they said it wasn't bad, but couldn't recommend it over the Canon or Panasonic.

I understand your preference for AA batteries, having owned a Canon S3 IS and currently owning a Pentax K200D. But I'm not sure it would be a deal-breaker either way for me. I actually plan on adding a superzoom camera to my collection again and the Panasonic FZ28 is at the top of my personal list. However, I would like to see a test of the just-announced Sony DSC-HX1, which features sensor/processor technology that is billed as a breaththrough for this class of camera. We'll see. There is a product announcement and Sony news release on the DSC-HX1 on this Web site and most others dealing with digital photography.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote