Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 29, 2009, 11:16 PM   #1

Ihad a Canon S1-IS and have really liked it over the years. I loved the big zoom and used it often. I never had a problem with the stabilization feature but westarted having problems with the screenso Ireplaced it with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ4. I am really not having much luck with it when I use the full zoom. I know it has the Image stabilizer feature, but all of my pictures when it is zoomed seem to be shaky.

Anyway, I am now looking at getting the Canon SX110 ISor theSony DSC-H10, but I'm nervous that the image stabilizer won't work any better for me with these cameras.

Just wondering if either of these would be a good option or if anyone has other suggestions.

Thanks for any opinions and/or advice!

skimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2009, 12:48 AM   #2

Holdinga camera out in front of you, zooming to 200-280mm like you can do with a TZ4 or TZ5 and keeping the camera steadyis not easy. I've always been MUCH more comfortable holding the camera up against my eye, be the finder optical or electronic. I own a TZ5 and have had excellent results with it, but the longer focal lengths I want to work at, I'm much more comfortable using either a DSLR or digicam like the Panasonic FZ28 that has a high quality electronic finder.

Sounds like you'd be better off as well concentrating on the same type camera, which I know the Canon you are looking at is. Haven't ever really looked seriously at Sony digicams so I'll let someone else comment about that.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2009, 10:57 PM   #3

Skimom... welcome to Steve's. I think you'll find this a great place to talk photography, even after you've made your purchase.

I realize we tend to group superzooms all in one category, but I believe there is a difference between the class of cameras that include your old S1 IS (and its later variants from Canon) and more-compact superzooms like the TZ series from Panasonic. These smaller cameras are also lighter and often lack a viewfinder, relying instead on the LCD screen on the back.

That means you've got a double whammy: A lighter camera that is less stable in hand and no viewfinder, which means you can't use the act of holding it against your face as a stabilizing force. Electronic image stabilization can only do so much - particularly when you're at maximum telephoto. While I can't be 100 percent sure, I suspect these two factors are a big part of your problem. This is just a more long-winded way of saying the same thing that Greg just told you.

The TZ series is a group of fine cameras. But I think you need to bump up a class category within the superzoom world. You want a camera that's a bit heavier (but not too heavy) and one with a viewfinder for when you're using maximum telephoto - or whenever you need to stabilize the camera by holding it up to your eye.

Here's a recent group comparison test of the better superzooms already on the market. I recommend reading it all the way through and taking a careful look at the photo examples:

You'll note the Canon SX10 IS, the Panasonic FZ28, The Olympus SP-565UZ and the Sony H50 finish at the top. Sony also has the new HX1 coming out in about a month. It promises to be a bit of a breakthrough in the class - if it lives up to its billing.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you decide.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote