Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 30, 2009, 5:24 PM   #1

Im looking forward to buy a nice waterproof p&s camera. My needs are 10MP, 3x zoom , beautiful outdoors pictures, decent indoor pictures, affordable price and of course, waterproof, shockproof, etc.

Ive read few reviews about the Olympus Stylus Tough 6000, the Fujifilm Finepix Z33 WP, and the Pentax Optio W60. Thats why I want to be certain which camera would suit my needs. In sum, I need a versatile camera without compromising picture quality too much!

Thank you!

Andres78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2009, 8:27 PM   #2

The Tough 6000 is the only one on your list which claims to be waterproof and shockproof. I'm not so sure about the beautiful pictures part (with any of them). Steve's review found problems with noise and edge sharpness on the tough 6000. I've found in the past, that the manufacturers put more effort into the cases than the cameras on these types of cams. I guess if you realy need waterproof and shockproof...

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2009, 10:03 PM   #3

I don't know much about the Fijifilm Z33 WP. But, in the waterproof category, the Pentax Optio W60 has consistently received markedly better reviews in terms of image quality than any of the Olympus cameras. On the other hand, the Olympuses - as pointed out by the Hun - are the only cameras rated as BOTH shock AND waterproof. The others are usually waterproof and rated for operation in sub-freezing temperatures. Dropping them from a height of six feet or running your motorcycle over one might be a different story. If you need that kind of ruggedness, go with the Olympus. You can always get another camera for artistic work.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2009, 7:59 AM   #4

Check also for Canon D10 and Panasonic FT1 / TS1. At the moment I'am using Pentax W60, which image quality is much higher than at Olympus SW and Tough cameras, but it is not shockproof, like D10 and FT1.

I think, Panasonic FT1 will be the best camera in this segment. I'am waiting for delivery of first Panasonic camera in this segment.
primus is offline   Reply With Quote