Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 1, 2009, 3:46 PM   #11

JimC wrote:
Basically, the sensor is out resolving the lens with a model like the A350. So, even though the A350 is a higher resolution model compared to the A300 (which uses a 10MP sensor), you're really not going to see any more detail if you use a lens like the 18-70mm kit lens. In order to take full advantage of the A350's higher resolution, you'd need a better lens.

But, with your "under £110" lens budget, I doubt you'd find anything significantly better if you want a zoom lens starting out at around 18mm.
Yeah, I realised that.
After reviewing the A200, I've decided that I'll either get that or the Nikon D60. Now there's just the problem of choosing between them :X The Sony A200 certainly has more features, but the Nikon apparently has a better kit lens.

Any opinions on which one I should get? I'll be sticking with the kit lens for some time.
Highlights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2009, 4:04 PM   #12

Personally, I'd go with the A200 (less expensive than the A300 or A350, and it has a larger viewfinder). But, I'm probably a bit biased since I shoot with a Sony A700 now.

The A200 has a lower resolution 10MP CCD sensor compared to the A350's higher resolution 14MP CMOS sensor. So, it's not going to be as demanding on lens quality needed for best results. The A300 also uses the Sony 10MP CCD Sensor if you need live view.

Like the A200 and A300, the Nikon D60 uses a Sony 10MP CCD. The Nikon's got a better kit lens. But, it's focal range isn't as useful (18-55mm versus the Sony's 18-70mm). Any lens choice is a compromise.

Also, just because a camera may be able to resolve more detail with a higher quality lens, doesn't mean that you'll be unhappy with your results. Quality is subjective, and you don't usually view or print images as large as the 100% crops you see in reviews showing camera and lens limitations. ;-)

Using a kit lens for a while allows you to better understand what you may need for the type of shooting you do more often. That way, you'll be able to make more informed purchase decisions later, without spending a lot of money up front on lenses that you may decide are not appropriate for your shooting style.

There are many variables involved (focal range from wide to long, sharpness at different focal lengths and apertures, color, contrast, distortion, flare resistance, chromatic aberrations, size, weight, cost and more).

Convenience also comes into the equation (for example, brighter zoom lenses with wider focal ranges are going to be larger and heavier).

Try them out in a store and see what feels better to you. Any of them are capable of taking good photos.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote