Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 12, 2009, 3:46 AM   #1

hi all

i was planning to buy a new digicam ,
i did a little research and came down to the power shot series of cannon, specifically the sx series i found sx110 a little big , i mean not that handy as the IXUS series is
but i was impressed by the 10x optical zoom
my main purpose is to click photographs of friends and family during an outing that is in a picnic , birthday parties and on any social gathering, am not a pro photographer.
i was also thinking how much optical zoom is enough, wont 10x be too much , wont 3x or even 6x be fine
so i am confused i don't know which one to buy , with what features and how does the developing technology affect the camera i buy now ,over the coming years .
zade is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2009, 6:27 AM   #2

Whether you need a large zoom range or not depends on the type of shooting you do. Larger zoom ranges are convenient and useful if you shoot wildlife, sports or anything else where you need lots of reach or cannot get physically close to the subject. Larger zoom ranges tend to create larger and heavier digicams, and will have smaller max apertures which could create issues in low light.

For the type of shooting you describe, you could certainly get by with less zoom. I would tend to ignore the "x" desigation when shopping for lenses. Look for the equivalent focal length...something that starts around 28mm would be a good idea.

Camera's will constantly be evolving...camera models are often replaced in under a year in today's world. That doesn't make your camera obsolete. Anything you buy today (as long as it's a current model) should serve you well for several years. If you worry about what's coming out, you'll end up never buying a camera.

rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2009, 7:44 AM   #3

I would say more optical zoom is usually good to have.

My camera has 6x optical zoom and my wife's has 4x. I greatly prefer using mine because I value the increased flexibility of the extra zoom. I often wish I had more than 6x optical zoom (and never wish I had less).
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2009, 2:21 AM   #4

hey thanks for your advice guys,

hi rjseeney
can you suggest me any camera
should i go for a cannon , orsome other company's camera
zade is offline   Reply With Quote