Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 22, 2009, 7:11 AM   #11

dwig wrote:
hosannavideos wrote:
... I found the Pentax X70 & Olympus SP-590UZ. ...
None of the digicams in this class would be suitable for low light non-flash photography. Their lenses are too slow, particularily when zoomed toward the tele end, to be usable in such conditions. Their small sensors prevent the extremely high ISOs that some DSLRs can achieve.

The only digicams that would do well in low light don't have much tele and you still need to avoid the tele end in low light even with them. Two of the better choices in this class would be the Panasonic LX3 (f/2.0 at the wide end) and the Canon G10 (f/2.8 at the wide). The Canon has a slower lens (still much faster than the common super-zoom digicam) than the Panasonic but slightly better high ISO performance which somewhat compensates.

Which ever way you go, don't expect to shoot handheld in low light without flash with a lens slower than f/2.8.
The Fuji S100fs is better than the G10 in low light, i agree that a dslr is the best way to go but the Fuji is better than all those other cameras.
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2009, 7:23 AM   #12

Thanks so much!!!! This is the info I've been waiting on. All theses other cams looks nice in features but when it comes down to getting the job done the way I'm needing it to I'll take your recommendation on the Fuji. Thanks for your help!!! Eddie:-)
hosannavideos is offline   Reply With Quote