Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 28, 2009, 7:01 PM   #1

I'm looking to upgrade my 6 MP canon powershot A700. I'd like a few more megapixels and a newer processor. I didn't think it would be this difficult, but after a bit of research I am finding that its hard to find anything new with an optical viewfinder. I take a lot of shots in low light, performances, concerts, so I like to shut the screen off and look thru the optical viewfinder. The other thing that is harder to find is cameras that allow manual control (i.e. setting the shutter speed yourself, versus just using an "Auto" mode)Can anyone offer any insight on what camera I should look at, my requirements are below:

Brand: any (Ive liked Canon in the past, but not stuck on them)

Mem card: any

Type: Compact (no SLR's)

Optical Viewfinder: MUST

Zoom: 5x optical or more

Megapixels: 8 or more

Price $200 - $350

Manual controls: MUST (i.e. A mode, Tv, mode, Manual mode)

Batteries, AA preferable but would settle with proprietary

I didn't think the above requirements would be too stringent, but so far I'm only finding a few cameras that satisfy these, and some of them are older, like the PowerShot A720 or A650....

Thanks for any thoughts

ShawnEv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2009, 4:06 PM   #2

Only a few point and shoot cameras have optical viewfinders and most are very tiny. The Canon G10 and Nikon P6000 have pretty good optical viewfinders, but they are outside your price range. It's easier to find a reasonably priced camera, with manual exposure controls and an electronic viewfinder, which is essentially the LCD representation that appears in the viewfinder. An electronic viewfinder is not nearly as effective as a good optical viewfinder, but it's better than having to rely on the LCD only for framing a shot. Some good ones within your price range are the Panasonic FZ28, the Fuji S8100fd and the Olympus SP565UZ. These all have very long optical zooms.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2009, 3:27 AM   #3

Sony W300 hasoptical viewfinderand the larger sensor, very happy with mine, can also crop to about 250mm-300mm with no loss of detail. you can see some ISO 800samples here:

SonyDSC-W300 croppingexample can be found here on this thread:

This camera has manual exposure as well as many other adjustments available, great little compact.

Steve's review here :

Camera: Sony DSC-W300

ISO 800, f/2.8, Exp comp: -0.3, 1/40th sec (Handheld) no noise reduction, exif attached.

nightshot in Cebu City, Philippines

Attached Images
Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote