Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 1, 2009, 7:56 PM   #1

Hi there,

I need a new camera and I'd like to get one free from my company's reward program, however, the pickings aren't robust and I don't know much about cameras.

I have owned a Canon A520 which worked well enough. We're not too picky mostly I took pictures of my son and nature shots when going on vacation. However, this camera is now broken (my son is now 3) and we we're expecting our second - so I need a new camera.

Looking through my options 3 choices stick out (and I can afford them with the awards level I have)

1. Canon A1000 IS
2. Sony W220
3. Fujifilm S2000 HD

The canon seems to get the best reviews, a good solid basic camera and I was initally leaning towards it.

The sony has the advantage a better screen (we download most our pictures, but do like to look at pics and videos on the screen) and the smile capture feature seems cool. But I'm worried about the picture quality and lack of AA battery (are these proprietery batteries expensive?). Also, the 12.1 mp seems way more than I need (On my old 4mp camera I never took pictures at the highest setting, usually took them at medium/fine, mostly to conserve hard-drive space).

Finally, the Fuji is a megazoom camera that would seem to be perfect. We generally don't take our camera everywhere, only when we expect to take pictures, so while smaller is better its not a big deal. The megazoom (15x) and ability to zoom during videos would be big pluses for me, for nature shots and catching my son playing without having to get so close that he notices me.

Features wise the Fuji sounds great, but I worry about the image quality. Many reviews online, say its not the best image quality. But for my uses would I notice this? We rarely look at a pictures at higher resolution than our 14" computer screen. Also, I take many pictures indoors, with indoor lighting. Would image quality be much worse than the other cameras in this setting? Also, are these much harder to use than the canon type of camera - the camera needs to be fairly easy-to-use for my wife to operate it.

Anyways, since I've read too many reviews and advice you can give regarding these 3 cameras would be appreciated.

mwa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links