Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 4, 2009, 4:25 PM   #1

Given the number of views with no answers on my previous question, let me expand my options a bit. Can anyone give recomendations for a good indoor camera for taking pictures of people either single person or a group. Here are a couple I took with my current camera (an A540):

I'm looking for something that uses SD cards and I'd like to stay under $400 but my hard limit is $500. Also the ability to slip it into a jacket pocket or small bag. I've looked at the F200EXR, SX200IS, DMC-ZS3, and LX-3. The ability to fill the frame from 20 feet with a single person is important to me.
WookieeGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2009, 4:50 PM   #2

The Fuji F200EXR and the Panasonic ZS3 have great picture quality and good zoom (Fuji) and very good zoom (Panasonic). The LX3 has very good picture quality but only a 2.5x zoom, while the Canon SX200is is similar to but not as good as the ZS3 in most respects (except the SX200is has manual exposure controls).
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2009, 2:06 AM   #3

You say indoor flash photos are important and you want to shoot people at 20 feet. The ZS3 is the only camera with a flash that will reach that far – barely. And then probably only at wide angle, which isn't going to fill a frame at 20 feet with a single person. But the ZS3 is probably the best of those you mentioned for flash range with the built-in flash.

The LX1 has a hot shoe. Even an inexpensive auto unit will improve your indoor flash shots, not only in range but in quality. The LX1 can also give you some decent available light shots – as can the F200. But the LX1 has a very limited telephoto range.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote