Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 8, 2009, 7:09 PM   #1
Default Oh yes, another newbie ....

Hello All

I think my title about sums it up for the most part, I'm 100% newbie and, I have not a clue what I'm looking at. So here is my story and I'm sticking to it ...

The wife and I have decided we want to get a couple of digital cameras and, get into the photography hobby. After we get a couple of cameras enroll into hands on classes.
After surfing the web for a week the realization set in , I'm clueless ..

So I'm putting the fate of our new found hobby in your hands..
This is what I'm hoping to find just to get me started, I would like to find two pro-entry level cameras, that will not brake the bank forcing me to seek a bailout. I'm hoping to keep them in the area of $300 each. I'm hoping this dollar figure is obtainable...

Thanks in advance for any advice and or direction you may have to offer ...

James G is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2009, 7:00 AM   #2

I think I may have narrowed down to a final few and , I'm hoping for a little feed back on my choices. But first let me give up a little more detail. As I have already stated the wife and I are both just getting started and, we don't really have anything specific will be shooting. So I suppose I'm really looking for a general purpose camera. I can however tell you some of my intensions with the pictures I'll be taking. I'll be editing our pictures and prepping them for use in slideshows. My final product will be imported in Final Cut Express ( Video editor ), these shows will be exported in DV-NTSC and, burned to DVD.
I suppose if I had to be more specific. when we get our cameras we will head off to the park and, just start clicking pictures of wild life, rose gardens and nature in general.
We'll also use these cameras for taking pictures of the kids, friends and family.
We'll not be using them for fast action such as sports.

That all being said, I have my eye on the Nikon D40

It seems to me to be, a fairly good pro entry camera and, not to bad for s starter.

I also have my eye on the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28

Its not really a pro entry however, appears to be a very god camera at the price range I need to stay with in.

Thanks for any feed back
James G is offline   Reply With Quote