Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 18, 2009, 1:24 AM   #1
Default point and shoot with super zoom? or not?

So obviously I am thinking about getting a camera. My only camera that I have really used is a old point and shoot from before image stabilizer.

My question is do people find it really necessary for super zoom? The only thing I think it will be beneficial for is if I do go through with my plan to drive around town snapping pics of peoples Victorian houses and its architectural details. Also I figure this camera will expose me to more features to see if I would want a dslr or not. So I ended up debating between the Cannon sx200is and the Panasonic dmc-zs3 or would a sx110is do the job as well?

Any and all input will be much appreciated.

7ranquilcitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2009, 2:10 AM   #2

I have just got a Panasonic DMC TZ7 (ZS3 in US). Have upgraded from an older Canon with only a x3 lens. Really impressed with the colours, definition and more importantly for me, the zoom. Wonderful little camera with a really small footprint and so much lighter too.
LizG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2009, 9:13 AM   #3

With the possibility of a DSLR camera in your future, perhaps the unsaid thought here is to keep the cost of the projected camera to a minimal level and to gain experience. If size is not a huge priority, take a look at the Kodak Z-1012 superzoom. It is a bit larger than the Panasonic ZS3, the Canon SX-200, or the Canon SX110.

The Z-1012 sells for $(US) 199.95, has 10mp, 12X optical zoom, full IS, and both auto and manual controls while providing excellent IQ and the ability to capture good photos at ISO 800 in low light level conditions. That is a lot of bang for the buck.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote