Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 18, 2009, 9:04 AM   #1
Default Camera Help

Hi there, I am new to the group and am hoping to get some assistance in buying a new camera. I am planning on touring Australia this summer and am interested in upgrading from my CANON POWERSHOT A95.

I have done a bit of research and read the reviews... and am still interested in finding a camera with a similar feature as the A95: the vari-angle LCD. It seems that CANON is the only one that can turn 180 degress around [good for self portraits as well as protecting the lens].

I understand that there is a CANON POWERSHOT A650 and the new release of the CANON SX1 IS. I have gone to a few stores and also seen the NIKON P90.. although it's LCD does not swivel all the way around. I also "weighed" the SX10 [previous model of the SX1] and the P90 at Best Buy the other day... does anyone know if the new SX1 weighs less than the previous model? The P90 is pretty light.

Basically, I am looking for a camera with GOOD Stabilization, a GOOD zoom, GOOD at Fast Speed shots, and if possible the vari-angle LCD that can be turned all the way around...and one that is not too heavy to carry in a shoulder bag. Not too much to ask huh?

Any comments/feedback would be greatly appreciated.

pixelww is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2009, 4:13 PM   #2

A very hearty welcome to you, Wendy to this Forum.

Because you are looking for a super zoom camera equipped with IS, my suggestion would be either the Sony H-50 or the Canon SX-10. Both have received very good reviews.

If you are interested in a more advanced model of either camera using the new CMOS imager technology, then take a look at the Sony HX-1 or Canon SX-1 cameras.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2009, 9:51 AM   #3

Thanks Sarah for your advice... the IS does not really mean anything to me... I just liked the zoom, and the flip around LCD. I am still trying to decide....

But I will probably get something this weekend so I have time to test it out.

Much Appreciated!

- Wendy
pixelww is offline   Reply With Quote