Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 22, 2009, 2:03 AM   #71
Super Moderator

Read the reviews at slrgear.com.

The 18-135 is a truly horrible lens, which when put on a fantastic camera is still truly horrible and combination becomes rather obscene; in a "why on earth would you do that?" kind of way.

The 15-85 is very nice, and a good match for the 7D.

The 17-55 is better still.
My gallery
My X100 blog
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2009, 11:10 AM   #72

I've had a number of digital dSLR cameras and have gradually added some good quality lenses. My opinion:

A good lens means far more to your picture than a more feature filled camera every time. Like peripatetic said, a horrible lens doesn't get any better with a better camera. In fact, I have a lens that was OK on a 6 mp camera but looks really lousy on a 14 mp camera - the extra resolution shows up the lens's limitation.

If you have to make compromises, buy a less feature-filled camera, not buy a poor quality lens.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2009, 3:22 PM   #73

The 7D with the EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM kit lens it is, then. That's a good start and should, from all I've read, provide a good walkabout lens. Until I find a combination I like better this will be my default. I think a good telephoto is next, perhaps with or followed closely by a good wide. . . Any suggestions? Should I stick with the EF-S series? There are none in the telephoto zoom range that really seems to suit. I want the telephoto to have IS, the wide to have USM. Am I wrong in my thinking? Any specific lenses I should look at while picking up the 7D with 15-85? Thanks again!
RCWestcott is offline   Reply With Quote