Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 7, 2009, 4:54 PM   #1
Default Sony DSC-HX1 - suitable camera?

Hi Everybody

This is my first question to the forum (although I have used the site many times). I’ve owned several point and shoot cameras over the years and would like to step up my photography abilities with a bridge camera.

My preferred option at this stage is the new Sony DSC-HX1.

The main features on this camera which made it stand out from the crowd for me are:

­ The 20x optical zoom

­ The ‘handheld twilight’ mode for low light photography

­ CMOS sensor rather than CCD

The handheld twilight mode really caught my eye as my night shots (portrait or landscape) tend to suffer. I don’t use a tripod.

Other cameras I am considering are the Panasonic FZ27 (large zoom but CCD sensor) and the Panasonic TZ7 (compact, reasonable zoom but still CCD sensor). As you are probably aware, the DSC-HX1 is more expensive than the Panasonic models.

Considering the above, do you think that the DSC-HX1 is a good choice for me in terms of both technical specification and value for money? (i.e. are the CMOS sensor and handheld twilight mode good reasons to choose the Sony over the Panasonic models)?

I will be using the camera for general photography (e.g. holidays, special occasions, etc).

Is Steve’s Digicams planning a full review of the DSC-HX1 in the near future?

Thank you in advance for your assistance!
matt20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links