Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 20, 2009, 8:32 AM   #1
Default Panasonic FZ28 vs Canon SX10 IS - AEB functionality?

Hi guys. I've been looking into buying a new camera and the choise quickly narrowed down to the Panasonic FZ28 and the Canon SX10 IS.

I've read some reviews/comparisons and based on the intel I got from it I probably want to go for the Panasonic FZ28 (less purple fringing, less distortion at longer zoom, 720P HD movie capability, so overall a better image quality).

However there is one point that's still a bit unclear to me. I would like to experiment with taking HDR pictures so an Auto Exposure Bracket-mode (AEB) would be nice. Both camera's have this function but there are some differences, which you can look up in this table here:

The Canon can take higher EV steps and has a higher maximum EV range. However the maximum burst rate is lower because of this as well. So which AEB-mode would be better do you think? And is this very important to make (good) HDR pictures? I think I really prefer the Panasonic (it's cheaper as well) but this brings me in doubt... once again haha.

Choosing between the camera's is pretty hard. Any advice would be greatly appreciated (also besised the AEB mode only!)

Last edited by Aquila; Jun 20, 2009 at 10:37 AM.
Aquila is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2009, 11:45 PM   #2

Hello, I just want to tell you some things:

1. FZ28's less purple fringing and less distorsion is because of the automaticly correcting them of the camera, but it corrects only the JPG. If you shoot in RAW you will have all the purple fringing and distorsion, that you run off with the SX10. You can eliminate this effects on computer with both cameras (but FZ28 have Silkypix software, that do the job automaticly, with SX10 you will need manual control).
2. FZ28 have 720p HD video, which is nice, but the microphone is MONO and the sound is awful. SX10 have good stereo mircrophone, but smaller resolution of video recording. Think about that.

3. Look at this site http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK
For the SX10 there is modification software that add's many more futures, than you can imagine. With it you can do bracketing with much more options, look in the site, there is all writed.
Gam3Ra is offline   Reply With Quote