Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 1, 2009, 1:53 PM   #1
Default What camera should I buy???

I'm having a great camera, kodak easyshare p880, but it is very slowly and too big to bring everywhere.
I want a camera which can take pictures fast. It has to be small, but with a lot of MP and optical zoom.

I'm from Denmark, and here is the market not that big.

I hope someone can help me.

Joachim Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2009, 2:41 PM   #2

Welcome to the forums.

Steve's Best Cameras List is best probably place to start your search. It contains a list of cameras deemed to be a good value within their market niche.

You'll find both Compact and Ultra Compact (Pocketable) categories, depending on how small you want to go.

As a general rule, the smaller the camera model, the more compromises you'll find on things like focal range from wide to long with good optical quality, flash range and cycle times (not as much battery capacity will impact range and cycle times), red eye (since the closer the flash is to the camera's lens, the more likely you're going to see red eye), sensor size (which can impact noise levels) and more.

But, you really need to take each model on a case by case basis to see how they compare, and decide what features are more important to you (including convenience, since size and weight enter into the equation).

Make sure to read the review conclusions (last page before the sample images in each camera's review). That's where you'll find more information on how well a camera performs.
JimC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2009, 10:41 AM   #3

You might look at the Panasonic TZ6 or TZ7 – in the US it is the ZS1 & 3. They both have a 12X zoom with a great 25mm (eq) wide angle. If you don’t shoot movies the TZ6 is less expensive. The TZ7 has a great LCD and shoots HD movies. I would say they are closer to your requirements than most. They will fit in your front jeans pocket, but they make a bulge. I think they carry better in a small belt case.

This has a good comparison of the current compact super zooms: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q209grouplongzoom/ None are in the sub-compact range if you want something really thin.

Edit: The Samsung HZ10W looks like a bargain if you want to shoot HD movies and have a decent zoom range. The ZS3 is going for a premium price in the US.

Last edited by slipe; Jul 3, 2009 at 11:17 AM.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote