Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 5, 2009, 1:24 AM   #1
Default Absolute noobatron asking for camera advice

I've recently moved to S. Korea for a year, and I would like a nice camera to both document my time here and serve as a hobby. I've surfed this forum a little for ideas, trying to see what would be right for me, and I've (perhaps naively) assembled a few cameras that I think would suit me. I've never really done photography before, so I'm pretty clueless.

I am interested in taking thoughtful, artistic pictures (in addition to some simple P&S stuff), though, and I wanted to ask what you guys think is right for me. For instance, should I invest in dSLR, look for a camera with image stabilization, etc? I would greatly appreciate your expert input.

My self-administered budget is ~$250, maybe $300 if the camera is really worth it. Although it seems nearly impossible to get a good dSLR for less than $500. I have enough money for whatever, I'm just a cheapo. Anyway, here's my initial list:

Canon Powershot XS110 IS

Canon PPowershot SD780 IS

Pentax K20D

If it helps, I mostly anticipate taking pictures of city/nature stuff: buildings, people, and landscapes. I'm not really interested in close-ups or pictures of flowers and insects or anything.

Last edited by Satellite; Jul 5, 2009 at 1:26 AM.
Satellite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2009, 8:23 AM   #2

The Pentax K20D is a DSLR and is by far the best of the three cameras. But it's way more expensive than your budget allows.

Since you're a newcomer to photography, the SD780 would probably be your best bet. It's a fine camera. Small but with very good picture quality.

Here are some sample photos:
Panasonic FZ28
Canon A720is
Sanyo Eneloop Batteries
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2009, 8:54 AM   #3

Good Morning Satellite,

For your budget, you are going to be somewhat hard pressed for a dSLR, and then there are the lenses and everything else to buy, plus there is a lot of stuff to carry around.

To start out, and this is just my opinion - the Point & Shoot is really very difficult to beat. For general photography especially for size, capability and ease of use, they are extremely good. So of the three cameras you have identified, the two Canons would fit this category. The Pentax is a semi-professional model, extremely capable, a very nice camera, but the body starts at about $600 and the lenses just add to the price. I have one and like it very much - however, I would suggest the P&S to start out. So, I'll concentrate on the Canons.

6 years ago I picked up a Canon SD500, still have it and still use it - however, my son has "borrowed" it for school projects. I really like the size, weight and its ease of use. It is the size of a deck of playing cards, fits into a shirt pocket, does everything well and takes movies too. It is very easy to take everywhere. If the camera gets taken everywhere, it will be used - and that is the important thing.

The SX110 is about 30% larger and twice the weight. I do not think that it would fit into a shirt pocket. The large difference between the two is that this has a larger zoom range 10x vs 3x - if that makes a difference. Both have image stabilization.

These are just 2 cameras, and they are quite good. Steve's has a best camera page that covers about 6 or 7 categories of cameras. The SD780 is an ultra compact, while the SX110 is referred to as a superzoom. The page is at ....

Personally, I like the concept of the Canon SD models - they are called Elfs (they are small), usable and take great pictures.

Also - once you decide and purchase the camera, you are going to want a spare battery and a SD card (4GB at least). With that your all set!

hope that helps...

Last edited by interested_observer; Jul 5, 2009 at 8:59 AM.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote