Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 7, 2009, 9:51 PM   #1
Default Buy a New Camera, or Keep My Old One?

Hi all,

I'm new to these parts, but I hope y'all can help me out. I'm going on a big vacation, and want to enjoy taking pictures and videos while I'm out there. As it stands, I have a Fuji FinePix S700, which I honestly havn't picked up recently, and have had for over two years. It seemed to take okay pictures, but it's lack of a rechargeable battery kind of left it in the back of my closet when I ran out of AAs.

I'm eyeing up the Panasonic Lumix FZ28 and was wondering whether or not it would be significant enough of an improvement over my current camera to justify $400? Being able to shoot video is a feature I want, especially HD, even if it is only 720P. The long zoom would be nice, as would the wide angle because a lot of vacation shots will be landscapes. The low-light performance would be great for the frequent campfire get togethers.

If anyone has experience with either of these cameras, or maybe even both, I'd appreciate your thoughts on whether I should upgrade.

Many thanks,
zbirdboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2009, 7:39 AM   #2

I really like my FZ28 (a month old) but it's hard to find right now since Panasonic is probably going to be coming out with a new ultrazoom (FZ38?) within days.
Panasonic FZ28
Canon A720is
Sanyo Eneloop Batteries
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2009, 7:41 AM   #3

According to B&H the FZ 28 is officially discontinued....
Stan C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2009, 7:39 PM   #4

If all you want is a rechargeable battery, pick up four Sanyo Eneloop or Maha Imedion low self-discharge NiMH batteries and a decent charger. You'll probably get between 400 and 500 shots per charge with these batteries, and will still have a charge, even if you decide to put it back in the closet for another 6 months. Give the camera a serious workout before plunking down a lot of money on a new cam...you may not like the new one as well...

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote