Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 9, 2009, 3:01 PM   #1
Default Help deciding

I've narrowed it down to the Canon SD970 IS or theCanon SX200 IS. We do a lot of boating and take a lot of action type shots like people tubing or wakeboarding behind the boat. Which camera should I choose between these two or is there another I should consider that is in this price range. One hand operation is a big bonus.
SLRobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2009, 3:18 PM   #2

Have you considered a waterproof camera to help prevent damage in tough conditions (especially if it's salt water)

Pentax just announced a new model you may want to take a look at:

I'd also take a look at models like the Canon PowerShot D10 and Pentax Optio W60
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2009, 4:07 PM   #3

The SX200 is better simply because it has more telephoto. A camera with a viewfinder would be even better yet. There are a number of SLR-like models for around the same price as these Canons. And there is no particular reason to limit your shopping to the Canon brand. I would not count on one-hand operation working out well on a bouncing boat.

Kelly Cook
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2009, 7:46 AM   #4

What would be an example of SLR type camera? I was hoping to stay somewhat small so that we did not have to carry a separate bag. The camera will be used just as much in regular circumstances as on the boat. We currently have a Powershot S50 that is on it's last leg. So i am looking at a replacement. I agree that more telephoto is good.
SLRobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2009, 8:30 AM   #5

I would definitely look into a waterproof camera. Constant exposure to mist and spray will ruin any non-waterproof camera eventually.

Canon makes a wonderful waterproof camera, the D10. Other good ones are made by Panasonic, the TS1, and by Pentax, the W60 or W80.
Panasonic FZ28
Canon A720is
Sanyo Eneloop Batteries
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2009, 8:36 AM   #6

I have a couple of boats and spend a lot of time on mine. I have never bought a waterproof camera for the boat. Even salt spray hasn’t seemed to hurt any of them. They do get a cleaning after they have been boating.

The only concession I have made for the boat is that I once bought a silver rather than black model because the black ones got hot in the Florida sun. I had to buy an eye cup to defeat reflections and have since bought only black cameras. With a small LCD-only camera the reflections from a silver camera can exacerbate the light problems unless the back is black.

If your boat is an open runabout, a LCD-only camera can be a problem in bright sun. If you can get under the bimini it isn’t so bad, but with the sun a little lower it becomes a problem again. The suggestion to try finding one with a viewfinder is a good one. Unfortunately there aren’t very many available.

In smooth water with bright sun and a relatively wide angle you can shoot one handed - I don't see one compact much better than another in that regard. I’ve trained myself to always put the wrist strap on when I pick up the camera. I hold the camera with both hands, but stuff can happen running at speed in a boat.

You might have a look at this: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q209grouplongzoom/ The recommended ZS3 and ZS1 are nice cameras, but the ZS3 is selling at full price when you can find one. The ZS1 is a good alternative if you aren’t into stereo HD movies. Both are a little smaller than the Canon and will fit OK in jeans pockets.

My current boat camera is a Panasonic TZ5. I got it cheap a year ago and they are still cheap. The last I looked Abe’s has one for $212 delivered. If I hit a big wave and haven’t put the camera back in my belt pouch it isn’t the end of the world. Other than the ZS3 it probably has the best LCD available. 3 inches at 460k. It takes HD movies and has a 10X zoom. Without a viewfinder it can be difficult in bright sunlight. I shoot a little wider than the photo calls for and crop when I can’t see the LCD well. I think it has a particularly good LCD for sun, but none of them are really good for action shots in bright sunlight IMO.

Last edited by slipe; Jul 10, 2009 at 8:40 AM.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote