Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 12, 2009, 9:10 PM   #1
Default Canon PowerShot SD970IS or Nikon Coolpix P90?

I know I am contradicting what I had posted earlier, but I changed my mind. Both cameras are about the same price, so either is in question. I have heard good things about the Canon, except for the lens being somewhat slow. What I am curious about is the P90. I have used automatic cameras for over five years so moving to potentially having to adjust many of the picture's properties would be totally new to me. Also, I have read that the photo quality can be poor, with indoor subjects being yellowish, and there can be noticeable purple fringing. And my last concern is that the Nikon is a much larger camera than the Canon, so I am unsure of the portability aspect of the Nikon. But while it may be larger, the extreme zoom seems to be one of really cool features of this camera. I will be buying one of these cameras in about a week in a half, so any help is greatly appreciated!!
Cameras: Fujifilm Finepix A210 (3.2MP), Olympus FE-230 (7.1MP). Next: Sony Cybershot W290 or Canon Powershot SD970IS

Last edited by maxmike; Jul 12, 2009 at 9:15 PM.
maxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2009, 8:28 AM   #2

Hi MaxMike-

Yes, those two cameras that you have listed are decidedly different both in size and application. i use zoom a lot, so the zoom provided by the P-90 is attractive to me as well.

I have the P-80 and have found no problems at all with using the built-in flash at all. In fact here is a sample flash photo.

You might want to take a look at a great thread in the Nikon Folder on the P-90 that might answer most of your questions.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote