Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 15, 2009, 11:08 AM   #1
Default P&S for street shooting

I am looking for a point & shoot camera suitable for street photography. Requirements are:
must be pocketable
good image quality for 8x10 (low noise, miminum distortion / aberration, etc.)
negligible shutter lag
wide angle more important than tele
good battery life
prefer max price around $300, but would consider higher price if it can be justified

At the moment I'm simply looking for cameras to consider, as I will more thoroughly research recommendations anyone makes. Thanks in advance for your advice.
Rob Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2009, 3:01 PM   #2

Dbuys has the Panasonic ZS1 for $259 and free shipping. It probably comes closest to your requirements with a 25mm wide and 12X zoom.

Buydig and Abe’s had the Panasonic FZ5 for around $212 and free shipping. It is only 28mm wide but has a nicer screen and HD movies.

If it ever gets in stock so the price gets down to reasonable the Panasonic ZS3 is the best of the bunch but it is over your price range right now.

If by low noise you want to take photos in poor light without a flash the Panasonic LZ3 and Fuji F200 are good at that. The Panasonic has a great wide angle but limited zoom. They are both pricey.

Several people have suggested the Fuji F100 for low light, but the reviews and tests don’t seem to bear that out. It is in your price range so you might check some reviews.

The two Fujis are a little more pocketable than the Panasonics I listed. None of them are really sub-compact though.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2009, 11:41 PM   #3

They stress your $300 budget, but for performance I'd also look into the Canon SD880 IS (IXUS 870) and SD960 IS (IXUS 110).

Kelly Cook
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2009, 1:08 PM   #4

The Canon SD960 is currently available for $279. Follow the latest price in this digicams thead. Take a look at the sd960 review. It meets all of the requirements you listed.
D9r is offline   Reply With Quote