Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 25, 2009, 11:16 AM   #1
Default Help!

I am beginning the search for a new camera. All the information is so overwhelming and I need a good place to start. I will mainly be taking pictures of my daughter and her cousins. But I am also interested in taking nature shots. I want an easy to use camera but have the ability to take really great shots. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance
kaylasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2009, 11:18 AM   #2

Welcome to the forums.

A good place to start your search is Steve's Best Cameras List (models deemed to be a good value within their market niche).

Make sure to read the review Conclusion for any model you consider. That's where you'll find information on camera performance, image quality and more. It's the last page before the Sample Images in each camera's review here.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2009, 11:26 AM   #3

Thanks! I have looked at a Canon Powershot S5 IS but I am unsure if this will fit all my needs.
kaylasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2009, 12:06 PM   #4

Because the Canon S-5 IS was replaced almost a year ago by the canon SX-10, the remaining inventory is almost gone now. As a result, the price of the S-5 IS has risen measurably.

The Canon S-5 IS was a very good camera but it was ISO limited to a ISO setting of ISO 200 or less. The ISO limit was there because above ISO 200 the photos showed a lot of electronic noise. Because of that ISO limitation, for photos taken indoors using flash, an external flash that mounts on the S-5 IS's hot shoe was pretty much necessary.

An alternative camera suggestion might be the Sony H-3, H-10 or H-20. Those cameras have 10X optical zoom, an excellent flash range of up to 23 feet, and they are slightly smaller than the Canon S-5 IS.

I have attached a photo showing the relative size of the S-5 IS, equipped with the external flash (a $(US) 230.00 extra expense) sitting next to the Sony H-10 camera.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote