Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 31, 2009, 2:27 PM   #1
Default Brand New to Photography

Hi - I am wanting to buy a new digital camera so that I can start learning a little more about digital photography. I am thinking in the beginning I will mostly be photographing friends/family and lanscapes. I want something I can learn on but also grow with. I have been looking at the Nikon D90 since I was told that I could use it with old Nikon lenses. I was given an old Nikon 6006 (601) and it came with 2 lenses (sigma auto focus and Vivtar 52mm). They are pretty old though so I dont know if it would be better at this point to get a cheaper camera and just buy new lenses. I am buying everything with credit card points so it needs to stay under $2000. Again, I am a total beginner so any advice is APPRECIATED!
Briana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 31, 2009, 2:47 PM   #2

Hi Briana, I'll let others more knowledgeable about Nikon comment on the lenses. Since your new to photography - you have pretty much started at the top of the iceberg, in terms of selecting a dSLR. There are probably two major areas that might help with your introduction. I would suggest going to a few camera stores or retailers that carry cameras in your area, so that you can pick up, hold and handle a number of various brands (Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax and Olympus, etc.). The reason is, if the camera appeals to you, fits your hand, you can see through the viewfinder, the menus and buttons make sense to you, then you will be more likely to use it - otherwise it just might sit on a shelf. Each of the major brands design their cameras a bit differently from the user's and ergonomics point of view. So, it might be wise to go see what you like and fits your hand and is comfortable for you to use.

The next thing, is that you are essentially buying a camera system (especially with a dSLR), since it consists of a camera body and possibly a set of lenses. A dSLR is a bit more bulky and heavy than a superzoom or point and shoot (other classes of cameras). Do you want something to put in your pocket? or something that will fit in your purse, backpack, or whatever. Do you just want to pull out a camera and snap a picture, or do you want something that may take say 20 to 40 seconds and require a bit of thought to compose, make some adjustments and then take a picture? Do you want - say for landscapes take off one lens and put on another - say a wide angle lens in order to get a different perspective for the image (or a telephoto lens for a zoomed in shot for your image)? -- that sort of entails having to haul around the lenses too. I pointed out camera system, because Canon lens usually are not fully functional on a Nikon body, so once you select a make, you are usually "bought into" that make, unless you start all over with another camera brand.

All of the answers will point you to the type of camera you would be most interested in.

Also, $2000 is a very generous budget. You could get a great starter system to begin with, and say a point and shoot to put in your purse - thus have the best of both worlds (and still have money left over).

Another idea to consider is to maybe take an extension class at a local community college on photography (especially digital) to quickly learn and minimize the floundering and overwhelming feeling that you may get with a new camera.

So, there are a few things to think about....

hope that helps..

Last edited by interested_observer; Jul 31, 2009 at 3:00 PM.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2009, 3:11 PM   #3

I'm not clear from your post whether you are new to photography, or just new to digital photogaphy. If the former, then starting with a DSLR is starting at the deep end of the pool. But, if you are comfortable with that Nikon film camera, you'll find that digital photography is mostly a mattter of learning how much you no longer need to worry about. In that case, a DSLR would make a lot of sense as a place to start.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2009, 4:46 PM   #4

Thanks so much for all the replys. Once upon a time I was pretty comfortable with the Nikon I currently have but, I have not used it in years. I figured I was jumping into the deep end but I wanted something that I would keep for a while, even after I re-learn the basics. Looks like I'm headed to the camera store to try a few on.
Briana is offline   Reply With Quote