Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 8, 2009, 9:52 AM   #1
Default Help, what camera should I buy - I have no idea

I bought a Sony Cybershot 3.2 from a guy a work whose wife didn't want it as a x-mas gift several years ago. I am too old to try to figure out all the new stuff, every camera seems to have so many #'s and letters attached that I am unable to keep them straight while trying to research. Here's what I do: I take pics of animals mainly horses and an occasional friend. I need to be able to take a pic of my horses hoof while it is in my hand (think steady, not blurry - AARGH), in bright sunlight and low light, take pics of horse being ridden in outdoor arena (would also like movies), take pics of horses romping around, dogs playing etc. I would like an optical view finder bc at horse shows, there is often lots of sun. My frustration with my current camera is low pixels, takes too long to snap the pic, lots of blurry pics, movies and pics are grainy. My price range is $300 - $400 tops for everything needed, would like it less if possible. Thanks all!
Saddlebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2009, 10:57 AM   #2

All digital cameras have an Auto mode, which should suffice for most of your pictures.

These days, the only cameras with decently sized viewfinders are expensive DSLR's and ultrazooms. For your purposes, I'd look to one of the ultrazooms. Olympus (SP590UZ), Nikon (P90), Canon (SX10is), Fuji (S1500) and Kodak (Z980) make good ultrazooms with viewfinders that are in your price range. They all take good photos but have a different "feel". Try them out to see which ones are comfortable for you to use.
Panasonic FZ28
Canon A720is
Sanyo Eneloop Batteries
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2009, 4:46 PM   #3

Thanks Andy! I'm so glad you suggested actual camers and not just an auto focus one in general. I've looked them up and it seems to me that the Canon is the one I'm most interested in and will pursue. You were a big help - thanks!
Saddlebum is offline   Reply With Quote