Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 15, 2009, 11:46 AM   #41

Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
Okay - so. If you crop the centre APS-C portion of the frame out of the 22Mp you are left with about 8Mp - like my old 20D. :-) Which is still enough for good 18x12 prints.

But if 90% of your photos are at less than 200mm then I would suggest you reconsider the 100-400L. Possibly looking at one of the 70-200's with a TC or the 70-300 IS. The 100-400 is a fairly large lens and you may prefer to have something a little smaller if you won't be using the very long end much.

When it comes to low-light AF don't forget that if you are using an external flashgun then it comes with built-in IR AF assist that literally allows you to focus in complete darkness. If you just want the IR assist then you can use the ST-E2 remote flash trigger. This is why in practice the low-light abilities of the 5D2 are perfectly good - if the light gets too low then you use a flash and get the extra boost.

In the real world therefore the main place that the D700 has an AF advantage is in sports/action/wildlife photography - tracking moving objects. The 5D2 is okay, but not as good as the D700.

I also think you may be suffering a bit from thinking you need to cover exactly the same range of focal lengths as you have on your SX1. You may find you don't.

And if you are really into low-light photography you may find that using one of the wonderful Canon prime lenses will suit you better.

Why not just start out with the 5D2 and 24-105L. Give yourself a few weeks before you settle on some other lenses.
i will wait for couple monthes for update of D700 or drop in the price of 5d2 and if every thing still as it i will buy 5d2 kite and 100-400 L
LightHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2009, 12:10 PM   #42

A lot can change in a month or two. Manufacturers tend to release new models and lenses going into the fall to better position their products for the year end buying season (which is the most active). But, you never know what will happen to pricing (given exchange rates and more). We'll have to wait and see.

Personally, I'd lean towards a kit with brighter lenses for journalism type work if low light shooting is a big consideration (for example, a 24-70mm f/2.8 versus 24-120mm f/4), and perhaps hold off on the 100-400mm for a while until you get a better feel for how you'll use the camera (since you may decide it's better to go with something like a brighter 70-200mm f/2.8 Zoom for low light church photos, plays, etc., instead of a dimmer 100-400mm for the focal lengths you use more often). If I were spending that much on a two lens kit, that's the way I'd go (brighter f/2.8 zooms instead).

But, you may also appreciate the greater focal range you get with the other lenses, and you could use brighter primes for low light work when you can't (or don't want to) use a flash.

There is no one perfect choice. ;-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2009, 3:43 PM   #43

The benefit of the 24-105 is it's a kit lens so you get a bit of a price break.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2009, 4:43 PM   #44

Lighthunter, I just wanted to say that I liked your images.

And thankyou to the experts for their reasoning. Us noobs have so much to learn.

mattyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2009, 4:06 AM   #45

Thanks you all
LightHunter is offline   Reply With Quote