Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 16, 2009, 2:07 PM   #1
Default Arrgh! This is so frustrating!

I had all but bought a Canon SX10 IS when I learned of the "e18" horror stories regarding Canons in general a few days ago. It seems if "e18" or "Lens Error" appears on the screen you can pretty much toss it, though I did read some people managed to correct the problem by manipulating the lens.
Is this really a serious and on-going problem with Canons or have I just been reading about a very small percentage of vocal customers? Anyone have any figures? I really want to get this camera but now I'm worried I may become one of the unlucky ones.
My two other considerations are the Nikon P90 and the Kodak Z980. Any input about which of these is the overall best would be appreciated!
Cap'n Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2009, 3:42 PM   #2

The Sony HX1 is also a very good ultrazoom, as is the Olympus SP590UZ. If you're willing to wait a couple of weeks the Panasonic FZ35 (FZ38 in Europe) will be available for purchase. Early indications are that the FZ35 is considerably better than the earlier model, the FZ28, which was one of the best ultrazooms you could buy.
Panasonic FZ28
Canon A720is
Sanyo Eneloop Batteries
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2009, 4:48 PM   #3

Cap'n Ned-

The Canon E-18 error was much more common several years ago, 2005 to 2006. Today we hear of it less, but it still exists. Nobody has ever documented as to what percentage of Canon point and shoot cameras are affected. Canon prefers not to discuss the issue, as you might expect.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2009, 11:43 PM   #4

From Wiki:

>>Although the use of the E18 error coding made this problem seem to be the particular domain of Canon cameras, the problem is actually quite common throughout all cameras with telescopic lens barrels. As a result, Canon has since dropped the use of this error code in its newer cameras.
"In its place it has adopted the more common term "lens error" that other manufacturers use. As such, its newer cameras report this term when the problem occurs."<<

In other words, this problem exists with "other" manufactures as well. Some did not report it at all or simply reported it as "lens error" as Canon also does now.
In conclusion
, it is a minuscule problem with all ZOOM cameras. The odds of getting it (lens error) are next to none unless of course, if you drop it.
IMO, you should not let that influence your buying decision.

Last edited by gerrydee; Aug 16, 2009 at 11:52 PM.
gerrydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2009, 3:43 PM   #5

I did about 4000 shots with my SX10. Never had a problem. My son even tried pulling out the lens (he's 2).

mattyb is offline   Reply With Quote