Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 20, 2009, 9:38 AM   #1
Default Help! Replacing Canon SD900!

First I am not replacing this camera by choice! My dear husband took my great little camera fishing and lost it in a river!!!!

So now I am looking to replace it. I loved that camera it was one of the best I have ever owned. Most times I would pick it over my Canon Rebel!

My dilemma is do I go buy another SD900 or should I upgrade it? If I upgrade it what Canon should I get? The titanium shell and water resistance were great features on the SD900...

Anyone got any ideas???
TheresaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2009, 8:51 PM   #2

Are you sure the SD900 was water resistant?
If you want another small Canon camera, another new SD900 would be virtually impossible to find. Besides, cameras have more advanced features these days. Canon still makes excellent small cameras.

Personally I like the Canon SD960. It has a small body, a wide angle lens and a 4x optical zoom. It also takes HD video. Its picture quality is excellent for a small point and shoot camera.
Panasonic FZ28
Canon A720is
Sanyo Eneloop Batteries
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2009, 9:31 PM   #3

The Canon SD-960 gets good reviews. Crutchfield has a scratch and dent at $238 in their outlet.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2009, 7:15 AM   #4

Is the SD960 as durable as the SD900?

What do you think of the SD990?

Last edited by TheresaR; Aug 21, 2009 at 7:18 AM.
TheresaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2009, 9:54 AM   #5

There are a few mail order places that still have them, new .... from about $300 on up.

If you like it and it took good pictures, then there is no reason to change. My son "borrowed" my old SD500 for school and cracked the back monitor. Even though it was scuffed up a bit, it was worth a bit under $90 to get it fixed to us. My wife after about 6 years wanted another camera after the battery door broke on her old one. She hates her new one - it does not take sharp images, and is back to the old one with duck tape.

Last edited by interested_observer; Aug 21, 2009 at 10:23 AM.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2009, 8:46 PM   #6

I really like my SD970IS. the pictures are really nice and it has quite a few scenes to pick from when you want good pre-set settings. Plus the Active Display is pretty cool for when I want to go through my pictures in a more interesting way. The 5x zoom is pretty good too and it has 20x total. The 3-inch display is so nice to view pictures, or use the mini-HDMI port to put it on a HDTV. hope i helped =)
Cameras: Fujifilm Finepix A210 (3.2MP), Olympus FE-230 (7.1MP). Next: Sony Cybershot W290 or Canon Powershot SD970IS
maxmike is offline   Reply With Quote