Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 29, 2009, 12:09 PM   #1
Default Beginner Sports (Football Volleyball Basketball)

I am a beginner but I want to learn. I need a camera to take high school sports pictures. Our gym does not have good lighting (like most older gyms). I want a camera I can learn to use fast and grow with. I want to stop action reasonably well. I like point and shoot simplicity but I have a budget for more. The pictures will be used on our school web site and in the yearbook. I have access to the sideline in the gym and at football games.

I am asking you for camera/lens suggestions. I want to get good pictures but spend only what is necessary at first and add options as I grow. Give me the most economical pairing (body, lens, flash?) for my purpose. Volleyball, Basketball are the first priority Football second.
kkaemingk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 29, 2009, 1:33 PM   #2

For indoor sports, you'll need a lens with a maximum aperature of f/2.0 or larger (numerically smaller.) Canon and Nikon both have 85mm f/1.8 lenses that are reasonably priced, and they both have camera bodies that can use them and have AF systems that are up to the challenge. But if money is tight, Canon's XSi is the least expensive. For outdoor sports, a 70-300mm lens like the Tamron Di LD would work in daylight, but at night under lights, you should get something with a larger aperture. Something like a 70-200mm f/2.8 from Sigma or Tamron should do ok.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2009, 9:44 PM   #3
Default Beginner Sports

Thanks for the reply. Will a larger aperture lens also work outside? What is the difference between the T1i and the XSi for my low light (gym) shooting? What specific zoom lens would you recommend for indoor action shooting that matches one of the canon cameras?
I am willing to spend what's needed I just do not want to waste my schools money for options and accessories I do not need.

Last edited by kkaemingk; Aug 29, 2009 at 9:52 PM.
kkaemingk is offline   Reply With Quote