Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 4, 2009, 10:03 PM   #1

Default Good Camera for family pictures/events/vacations etc

I loved my Canon Sd1000 but sadly it drowned the other day. Now Im in the hunt for a good point and shoot camera, thats newbie friendly, and takes amazing pictures.
I'm also looking for a camera that is well built, durable and has a fast start up time. I would also like the camera to be good at taking pics in low light situations. I have about $250 to spend(max). There are so many cameras out there and so much hype...I just got overwhelmed. So any help/advice is appreciated.

PS I have a canon a470 to hold me over(got it free). It seems nice. but I dont think its what my SD1000 was...
CarbineKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2009, 10:00 AM   #2

09/06/2009

Good Morning, CarbineKid-

Welcome to the Forum and thanks for posting. We are here to be of assistance to you. However to assist you, in the very best way, we have to be sure that we understand your requirements very clearly.

You mention, "...I would like the camera to be good at taking pics in low light situations..." Every one's evaluation of what a so called, low light situation, really is, seems to vary somewhat. Do that mean that you have problems in taking photos indoors when using the camera's built-in flash unit? Or, do you mean that you want your new camera to be able to take photos indoors, or perhaps at night when not using your camera's built-in flash unit? There is a substantial difference in those two, described photo situations.

Another important question is about how you normally use your camera. Do you use the full automatic mode or the "Easy Mode?" On your Canon A-470 camera, what mode to do you use on the Mode Selector? Is it the "Auto" or "Easy" Mode or do you shoot with the Mode Selector on the "P" position which stands for programed auto mode?

Neither the Canon A-470, nor the Canon SD-1100 had much zoom. Especially with family photos, many camera users want some more zoom, so that it is easy to move in close to your subject, without neing on top of them, and to frame a very nice and clear head shot, while eliminating any distracting elements in your photo.

One of the better cameras on the market today that does an especially good job of taking photos in the "Easy" or "Auto" mode is the Sony H-20 camera. The H-20 also has excellent flash range. Flash range, is the distance to which the camera's built-in flash will effectively light a photo, taken indoors, and provide a very good photo. The flash range of the H-20 camera is an amazing 20 feet!

In addition, the H-20 offers 10X of optical zoom, has a HD video clip feature, and sells for around $(US) 240.00. Thanks for posting. I think with a bit of added information from you, we can find a camera for you, within your budget, that will easily take the photos that you desire.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Sep 6, 2009 at 10:05 AM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2009, 12:34 PM   #3

Hi Sarah
Thanks for the response. My A470 is new, and I have not used it yet. I was actually going to throw it up on ebay. I got it free, so whatever I get for it will go towards a new camera.
My new camera will be used for family events. I know my wife will be using it too, so Im looking for a simple point and shoot camera. My wife is not very tech savy, so we usually keep it on auto mode.
I'm taking to kids to Disney in 2 weeks, so Im hoping whatever camera I get will work in both the bright Florida sun, and in the park at night. We are going to Mickeys not so scary halloween party, and I really want to get some good pics of it. My only concern with the H20 is it size. I need sometihng small that I can carry around on my belt. Having 2 kids is a handful..lol.
I'm glad you suggested the Sony H-20. I was just starting to look at it when you replied. In you opinion will the H-20 suite my needs. The more I read on i the more i like it.
Thank You

Last edited by CarbineKid; Sep 6, 2009 at 12:36 PM.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 1:02 PM   #4

Default A Belt Case for the Sony H-20 Camera

CarbineKid-

Many thanks for your reply. I am sorry to be so full of questions, however, determining the perfect camera is sort of like fitting shoes. You mention taking good photos at night in Disneyland. Do that mean photos that are taken at night, but using your camera's built-in flash unit? If that is so the Sony H-20 camera is an excellent option, because it has such a great flash range (up to 20 feet!).

My husband likes to carry our H-20 camera on his belt. He just uses a small utility case with a belt loop. I have attached a photo of the H-20 in his utility case for you. As I mentioned before, the H-20 is one of the very best camera to use in the fully automatic mode. The H-20 is very user friendly and has excellent battery life.

Having children can make things very busy, my husband and I know that, we raised 8 children. The H-30 camera sounds like it would work well for you. I am happy to answer any and all questions.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Sep 6, 2009, 1:44 PM   #5

Sarah
I think Im sold on the H20. Now I gotta find the best deal on one....
Actually I have two more questions...first concerning the lens cover. In your pic it looks like the h20 a lens cap. Is that true? I cant tell you how many len caps I lost my my old olympus 3000. After that camera I decided to go with a camera that has a lens cap built in. Usually when the lens retracts it automatically closes and blocks the lens off to any damage/sratches/dirt etc. Does the H20 tae SD cards. I have a few of those, and it would be nice to have a camera that takes them...if not I guess its no big deal.
Thanks again
Brian

Last edited by CarbineKid; Sep 6, 2009 at 1:49 PM.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 2:57 PM   #6

Brian-

The Sony H-20 camera comes with a tethering cord that attaches to the neck strap mount. It is very convenient and the result is no lost lens caps. No, the Sony H-20 does not take SD cards. It takes the memory Stick Pro Duo which have come down in price in the last few months.

To find the best deal just use the Camera Prices tab on the opening screen of this website. It is very easy.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 6, 2009, 6:02 PM   #7

I just checked one out at Best Buy. Its very nice, but a bit big. Also the memory card will not fit in my computer. I guess Im stuck looking for a camera that takes SD cards. So Is there anything out there that matches the H20 in performance, but smaller.

Last edited by CarbineKid; Sep 6, 2009 at 6:31 PM.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 6:53 PM   #8

Brian-

The only alternative is the Panasonic ZS1. The camera is great outdoors but it really struggles indoors, due to its very tiny built-in flash that is woefully under powered. IMO it is not a good option.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 6, 2009, 7:04 PM   #9

Hmm that gives me something to think about.
thanks again for all the info
Old Sep 7, 2009, 11:37 AM   #10

Fuji has released a 10x zoom camera that appears to be very good (f70EXR). It is supposed to handle high ISO well and has great DR due to its EXR technology. It apparently performs better indoors than the ZS1/ZS3. It is certainly worth checking it out.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote