Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 2, 2009, 1:15 PM   #21

Price may not matter, but size, weight, ergonomics and ease of use will always matter. A camera that is not comfortable and stable in hand is seldom ever going to be used.

With that in mind, I suggest the A700, 50D, D90 are just about the maximum size and weight of a camera that I will ever want to carry.

I have handled the bigger boys... and they are nice.... but just too cumbersome to carry around much less for my real world shooting.

BTW, I do a bit of one handed shooting (ie stick the camera over the fence, shoot from below waist height and hope for the best). My A700 with a 100mm lens is all I can handle doing one handed shooting and even that is pushing it.

Dropping down in size, the weight of the camera may drop, but the ergonomics does not improve, in fact most of the time the camera is downright difficult for man sized hands to handle.

(and no, I ain't that big)

Having said that, I did handle an Olympus Camera (unknown model #) that was small and fit my hand very, very well. The sales dude at the now defunct Circuit City was pushing the Olympus camera because the ergonomics were so surprisingly good for big guys.

A lot of the ergonomics issue for me is with regards to the position of the thumb...does it have a natural resting position that does not risk changing a camera setting. All too many small cameras the thumb rests upon a control feature rather than having access to the control feature. Then the size and shape of the hand grip is of concern... don't want to have to stretch the hand too much to fit the grip. Somewhere in the equation will be the position and angle of the buttons.

My favorite list based upon my criteria?

Unknown Olympus model
A700 (my current camera)

Money no object? Give me the KM5D.
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2009, 2:55 PM   #22

I liked Stevie's post...I have noticed on the demo a230..that the ergonomics are a factor. (for me)

The thumb sometimes rather then hitting the 'rest' hits the buttons (flash control usually) the main one that bugs me is when attempting to use the turn dial in the front to adjust shutter speed, I accidentally turn the camera off.

While my 'cheap' side would say..'I'll get used to it' its probably an unwise purchase decision..Thus the reason I started this thread was to put the money aside and look at what's the 'right' camera for you and why....

Good stuff here so far...
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2009, 7:11 PM   #23

Nikon D90, Olympus E-620, Sony A500. Sorry, no exhaustive analysis, just a grins/gut/zen thing.

KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2009, 9:54 PM   #24

Give me something light enough to hike with, a bag full of lenses of good to high quality and weather sealing, so a bit of rain won't stop me or cause me to shoot through a plastic bag. Full frame cameras are amazing in their quality but I am not strong enough to hold one steady for very long, especially with a fast or long lens. I'm not that interested in higher ISO as my subjects either don't move fast or else are moving outdoors. I prefer prime lenses to zooms, just the way I think. So the Pentax K7 makes the most sense for me - light-weight, weather sealed and Pentax has a number of excellent quality prime lenses to satisfy me.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2009, 12:39 PM   #25

You raise an excellent point. The handling of a camera is very important, in my opinion. So there is a simple way to solve this issue. Head for a "big box" store or a major camera store and handle the DSLR cameras.

For me the Sony A-230 is a good fit for my hands. Another camera with excvellent ergonomics is the Canon XS. The other issue to be concerned with here is budget. What is the price range you are looking at?

Both the Nikon D-90 suggest by Kelly and the Pentax K-7 are well over $1,000. Is that in your price range?

Next we have to consider what kind of photos your normally take as well as those you want to do in the future. Certain DSLR cameras are better at certain items than another. For example, a low light level shooting environment where a numerically high ISO setting is used can effectively [oit to cameras like the Sony A-500/550 and the Nikon D-90 DSLR cameras.

Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2009, 5:10 PM   #26
Super Moderator

Sarah, you missed the start of the thread I think.

Might be worth reading the first post. :-)
My gallery
My X100 blog
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2009, 9:23 PM   #27
Default One camera at any price or....

If money is no object, why stick with one system. A Nikon D700 or D3 system with the current redesigned f2.8 lenses would fill the low light requrements well.

A crop system or my Oly system would be desired for shooting long from remote locations. A look at the mass of the Nikon system above would not make it ideal if I needed to lug the system on my back for anything but a short hike.

For the ultraportable system that literally will go anywhere with me, micro 4/3 would be an option, but lens selection doesn't light my fire yet. Slow zooms don't cut it. Panny and its 7-14 and f1.7 prime is showing promise, but the system isn't there yet. What is complete and money is no object, I pick a new Leica M and a few red dots to keep it company. Small, fast glass, and just quirky enough to keep it entertaining.

I need to go buy a lottery ticket now.

fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2009, 1:08 PM   #28

Many thanks for the "heads-up!" With price being no object, the Leica M-9 and similar have to be the top of the shop in my opinion. The Micro 4/3 type thus far has been murky with several different design directions. The Leica eliminate that unsettled design problem.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2009, 1:32 PM   #29

Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
With price being no object, the Leica M-9 and similar have to be the top of the shop in my opinion.
I think I'll wait for Steve's review.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote