Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 1, 2009, 11:45 AM   #1
Default Canon SX10 is OR another powershot?

Up until a few months ago I had never used a decent camera. I purchased a Canon Powershot SX10 is for my daughter and used it for a few weeks during a trip to Scotland. That ruined me....I now hate cheaper cameras. Ok, so I have decided to buy....but here is my question. I really like the SX10 but while looking on the Canon website, I see that there are several other cameras around the same price, so I am wondering which to buy.

Right now I am at the point and shoot stage, but I would like learn more about photography and maybe take a class, so I would like to have the option to change the settings as I learn. Basically this will just be a family camera. I really appreciate the help! THANKS!!

sringelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2009, 1:42 PM   #2

I might consider the Canon SX20, which is the successor to your daughter's camera. I have a Panasonic FZ28,which I really like. Its successor, the FZ35 is now selling for about the same price as the SX20.
Those are both superzooms 20X and 18X optical zoom respectively. There are a lot of cameras with 10X zoom or 12X zoom, which you might consider. Among them is the Canon SX200, which is very compact.

How much can you spend? How much zoom do you want? What will you be taking pictures of mainly? Answer these questions and forum members can offer more helpful advice.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2009, 1:57 PM   #3

This might be the time to consider a DSLR camera that would provide you with much greater shooting flexibility. The Canon 1000D, also called the Canon XS is a good point to start looking.It would cost $100 to $200 more but, you would have a camera that you can grow with in Photography in a big way and that will last you for 4 to 5 years.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote