Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 2, 2009, 2:59 PM   #1
Default Mom w/ 2 boys needs new point and shoot

My pocket sized Olympus recently bit the dust (fyi: keys + lcd screen = broken camera) and I'm looking for a replacement with much better features than my last camera.

-Ease of use
-Decent zoom (more than 5x for soccer games, etc)
-Quick continuous shooting mode
-Little shutter lag between shots
-Quality pictures (mostly 4x6 but some 5x7 and the occasional 8x10)
-Quality video mode (for those quick movies of the kids being silly, scoring goals, etc to send to friends and family)
-Low light capability (for talent shows, awards, graduations, etc)

With this in mind, here are the cameras that I've been looking at, and no I haven't made it past the Canon's yet:
-Canon sx200is
-Canon sx120is
-Canon sx20is (which, while I covet the zoom, I'm afraid it will be too much camera for me. Thoughts?)

I am not by any stretch of the imagination a photographer. I have no clue what an f-stop is or what apeture means and I the only noise I know is that of my 4 year old throwing a tantrum. I will probably never take that photography class at the community college to learn any of this stuff either. My photos will be stored on my computer, emailed to friends and family and occasionally printed out as 4x6's for the family photo album that I've been meaning to finish (ok, ok.....I mean start!).

Basically I am just looking for a great camera that will do most of the work for me -- pretty much dummy-proof -- and will still get quality shots.

And yes, I know that if I knew a lot more about photography and took those classes and got myself a nice DSLR I'd be much happier with the results, but let's be honest here - -- that's not going to happen.

So, is there anyone out there that can help me?
Any and all advice welcome.

20nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2009, 9:14 AM   #2

You will find all of your requirements except low light in a lot of point and shoot zooms. Although acceptable for small prints, point and shoots struggle with the indoor events you describe. Try the Panasonic FZ35. It's about as good as it gets in point and shoot.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2009, 12:24 PM   #3

None of the cameras you have listed have much in the way of a low light shooting capability. If low light shooting is a priority, consider a DSLR camera. The lowest priced DSLR camera is the Sony A-230, which can easily be shot in the fully automatic mode.

Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote