Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 23, 2009, 10:23 AM   #21

I've got a Panasonic FZ8 also, and while it is an ok general use point and shoot camera, I am not as happy with the picture quality as I am with my much bigger and more complicated Fuji S-9100. The Fuji is just too big for me to carry around all the time, so I bought the Panasonic a few years ago. The Panasonic has been great for spur of the moment shots where a bigger camera with multiple lens might not get the shot due to the delay in getting everything just right, and I am willing to sacrifice a bit of quality to be able to get the shot. But then I am not making a living in photography or do I have a lot of money to spend on a camera and multiple lens. I really have gotten spoiled by having pretty much an all in one camera with a lens that does fairly well from wide angle to full zoom. Now I am thinking of downsizing even more to a higher quality pocket sized camera. Since 90 percent of my photographs are on trips or strolling around town, I like the idea of having a small easy to use camera in my pocket and not having to carry a heavy camera bag full of expensive equipment. But I know there are some big trade offs in doing so; the quality of the picture, noise, and the loss of low light performance at a lower ISO with the smaller sensor size in the smaller zoom cameras.
ESRick is offline   Reply With Quote