Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 26, 2009, 6:57 PM   #1
Default Thinking of picking up a Sanyo Xacti HD1010

Hello All,

I wanted to get this forum's input before making any final decisions. I have been holding off on purchasing a dedicated video camera for around 5 years now. Instead, I've made do with the limited movie capability built into my digital cameras. My current camera is a Cannon A630 and in general I'm pretty happy with the videos it lets me take. My primary reason for wanting a dedicated camcorder is that the camera is limited to 3x zoom, which can't be adjusted once recording starts. Also, it would be nice to record at a little higher definition at times, but since my current use is to create standard DVDs the main benefit I can see from HD is the potential to digitally zoom in on segments of the video during the processing stage. One other minor annoyance with videos from my A630 is the mechanical noise that ends up in the background. However, I'm able to work around this by stripping the audio out and run it through noise reduction before final processing.

We have a 5 year old daughter, with another child expected in April. This got me looking again at camcorders, and I was surprised to see how reasonable the HD 1010 is ($350 on Amazon). I know this is last year's model but from what I've seen of the HD 2000 I won't miss the new features. I like what looks to be a large decent quality lense and a large (for the price point) optical sensor. I also like the fact that I can use my existing SDHC cards with this, and buy new larger cards as I need them and they become cheaper. The only downside I can see from my research is the lack of optical stabilization, but at this price this seems reasonable.

I use Linux so the fact that this doesn't require special hand holding & nose wiping software to pull the video files off is a nice plus to me. For the same reason I don't really care one way or another about whatever software a video cam might have.

Sorry for the long intro. I wanted to give a good idea of who I am and what I've been thinking to allow for the best feedback. Here are my questions:
  1. Would you steer me away from purchasing this camera based on what I have shared above?
  2. What other models should I consider in the same price range?
  3. Any other thoughts or suggestions?
Redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2009, 6:18 PM   #2

Dont buy it! mine is one year old and it wont even charge rendering it useless
Focus112 is offline   Reply With Quote