Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 17, 2009, 9:44 AM   #1
Default My experience with picking the right camera

First off, you will find many that love Pentax, Canon, Nikon, Olympus, etc cameras. To me it really is a personal preference, you can take great photos with a lot of different cameras. My recommendation is to:

1. Find the camera you like based on the look, feel, quality, and options that will meet your needs. It seems many have a camera company favorite and then once they have 1 or 2 of that company's camera's, they venture out and try some other company's equipment as they get deeper into the art of photography. Me personally, I love Nikon. I like the way they look, the quality of the cameras, and the continued development that they put into their cameras. I also don't like going with Canon since it's the most popular. I prefer going with a smaller company. Nothing wrong with Canon, but it's just a feel thing.

2. If this is your first digital SLR or if your not a serious photographer yet, find the camera that will meet your needs, not wants. I needed a camera that took great photos as well as some of the higher end cameras, but at a lower cost. I am a landscape, family shooting photographer, and I don't like to spend hours with software changing things later on, though I do touch up photos later. Spend time to read many reviews from many sources. You will see some common themes and some different personal opinions about other things.

3. Price: You can always get a better camera just by paying more money for the higher end model. My mode of thinking is to spend a little more than you want to so you won't be thinking a year later, I wish I bought the other camera. It is hard to choose a camera that may not be higher end when so many great photographers with years of experience will lean you towards something different that you may not be familar with.

4. I am one that do not believe it's best to jump and get a high end camera like a Canon 5D Mk II with little experience with photography. Learn on a camera that will offer you enough flexibility and will help take great shots with the situations you will shoot with.

I had a Nikon Coolpix 5700 and wanted to jump into a SLR camera, but with not paying a lot. I looked at the D40 when it came out and was very pleased with the reviews, it's cost, and quality of photos it took. Several months later they came out with the D40x with more mega pic's. While saving my money for it, the D60 came out with some more improvements, and I was ready to pull the trigger on that camera. Then came the D5000. It's more of a camera than I was looking for especially with the same sensor and other things the D90 had.

By the time I wanted the D5000, I looked closely at it's competition making sure that I was not just sticking with Nikon blindly. The Canon Rebel T1i is another camera that is very impressive and I know I would be equally in many ways just as happy with that camera. Panasonic also has an interesting camera.

5. You need to hold these cameras in your hands. Don't just rely on reviews. Holding a camera and seeing it's work flow and menus is very imporant.

6. Crunch time: It's your money, you need to buy what you like, what is comfortable and will help get the great shots you want....at the same time in your price range. I did not want to spend over $1,000 for a camera, especially since I needed a good flash, memory card, batteries, bag and want more than one lens to work with. The D90 is a better camera than the D5000, but with a lot of it's guts in the D5000 and reviews saying that the quality of photos is the same in many situations, I decided on the D5000 with the 18-55, & 55-200 lens. Yes the view finder is smaller, yes the lcd is smaller, yes it does not have a motor in the body of the camera so I will maybe only have 30 lens's to choose from in the future. But compared to the screen of my 5700 that I shot with previously, the D5000 is a smoking camera. As long as you are ok with the limitations of the camera, your good to go. Even with all these known items, the camera feels great in my hands, it allows me to take great photos, with two lens's and staying under $1,000 I can afford to get the other things I want as well. I am sure if I was thinking about the D90, I would say well the D300s has all these features which the 90 does not....and m a y b e if I push my budget....

After taking over 500 shots with my camera, I am convinced I made the right choice. After learning more about WB, ISA, and knowing what controls to use for what situation, I may want a D300s or D700 in the future. By the time you develop your skills, you will appreciate, understand, and be able to use the features of the higher end cameras more effectivly.

Last edited by Blueberry; Nov 17, 2009 at 11:58 AM.
Blueberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2009, 11:42 AM   #2
Super Moderator

thanks for sharing your buying experience. These kinds of posts are sure to be helpful for people in a similar situation as you were.

nice post.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2009, 12:39 PM   #3

Thanks so much for taking the time to post. I am in the same boat as you were and just starting my search for the perfect slr

Glad you found a camera you are happy with-I also have the D5000 on my short list.

Last edited by chopper123; Nov 17, 2009 at 12:41 PM. Reason: hit the post button to fast-ugg!!
chopper123 is offline   Reply With Quote