Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 26, 2009, 10:24 PM   #1
Default EOS digital rebel XT vs Powershot SX20 IS or Luminex FZ35

I don't know what route to go. I will be taking a trip to Rome in April and want to get a camera that will allow me to take some great quality pictures. I found a used EOS Rebel XT with a 18-55 mm lens for $300. I know I take the risk of buying something used that may not work and I also know that this lens will not give me much zoom capabilities for the statues and art in Rome. Beacause of this I think I would need to be q better lens which would be an added cost. Would this slr, with 8 megapixels give me a better picture than a Powershot SX20 or a Luminex FZ35? If not, which point and shoot camera would be better. I am a novice to photography but I am a gadget nerd so I don't feel intimidated by the skill level of all of these cameras. I want to be able to zoom in on the objects in Rome and still have the best bang for my buck without spending more than $400. I like the option of being able to take video with the point and shoot cameras but I don't know what optionwould be best. Can these two point and shoot cameras give me comparable quality as the slr? Since I am new to photography should I steer toward the point and shoots because of their automatic controls that would adapt to different situations? I know this is a lot to ask, but I need to decide by Sat or I will miss out on the slr. Please help anyone.

Last edited by linkinyeah; Nov 26, 2009 at 10:27 PM.
linkinyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2009, 11:45 PM   #2
Default I would go for the ultrazoom

I had the FZ28 and loved it. I have also had 3 DSLR's. They're great, too.
However, for versatiility on a limited budget, a camera like the FZ35 is hard to beat. I recommend the FZ35 over the SX20 because its pictures are less noisy at higher ISO (=lower light) settings. If you decide to get a DSLR, I recommend getting a new one. The Pentax K2000, Nikon D40, and the Canon XS are sometimes available online for close to $400. Just make sure to check the etailer's ratings at resellerratings.com before you buy, or ask the forum members here for their opinion.

Good luck!
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2009, 12:47 AM   #3
Super Moderator

In good light or with a tripod you won't see much of a difference for prints up to 12x18.

The SLR is a more versatile system, but if your primary purpose is travel photography then I would go the P&S route.

Have a look at the Panasonic FZ38 or TZ7, I would go with the TZ7 myself, since it still has a 28-300mm equivalent zoom and packs down into a very small form factor, which is very handy for travel.

The Canon equivalents are the SX20 and SX200.

All are fine cameras and will serve you better than the SLR.
My gallery
My X100 blog
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2009, 11:02 AM   #4

Point and shoot cameras such as the Canon SX-10/SX-20, the SX-120, and the SX-200, as well as the Panasonic TZ-7, which is known as the ZS3 here in the USA, and the FZ-35 are all very versatile cameras with varying feature sets. Outdoor photos from any of these cameras will compare quite favorably with a DSLR camera like the Canon XT.

The Canon XT however, is three generations past in terms of technical features and it would require a rather expensive telephoto lens to equal the zoom offered by the point and shoot cameras.

If it were my choice, I believe that I would be focusing on the Panasonic FZ-35, which offers full manual and auto controls, 18X optical zoom, can take numerically higher ISO photos, up to ISO 800, while still producing pretty good image quality and is, and I am guessing 1/2 the weight of the Canon XT.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote